How long after titanium plate for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just had 7 screws and a titanium plate put in my wrist on Wed to fix a break. How long before I can dive again? I know I won't get the stitches out for 10-14 days, so no water activities before then, but after that? Also, I know you usully lose some strength and flexibility with a break, but is it the same with the titanium parts, or do those let you keep more of the strength and movement?

I had a titanium plate with 6 screws put in my arm in 98 then I started scuba diving in 99. For the first couple years when I would lift something heavy or go golfing it would get a little sore but now I don't even notice it.

Although a fracture with fixation is more immobile than one without, it is still a fracture, and in general, the orthopedists will still restrict your motion for some time, until there is native bone healing. Some motion is often permitted earlier with fixation, in order to reduce the amount of stiffness you develop through immobility, but it usually isn't any kind of load bearing.

The actual getting in the water and swimming around would probably be possible fairly early, but the problem would lie in the other things that go along with diving -- handling gear, moving tanks, climbing ladders, etc. For those things, I would guess you'd probably be looking at at least six weeks. But the person who knows your fracture and how your fixation went best is your orthopedist -- I'd describe the things you need to do to dive fairly carefully, and ask how long he or she would estimate you should avoid them.

I guess not knowing squat about which bone you broke, if it is a simple fracture, or if it is comminuted (shattered in multiple pieces) - it would be nearly impossible to guess the duration of your restrictions. Theoretically, you could dive with only one arm. But what you intend to do with that arm while diving, we'll never know - and that is where the restriction needs to be imposed. Usually, a good scar tissue is formed in 4 to 8 weeks, and will give strength to the bone. Kids tends to grow the callous faster, and old folks tends to grow it slower. They might xray it at 4 to 8 weeks to verify the normal healing process, and will clear you for activities at that time. If a non-union occur, you might need a second surgery to reposition the bones or they might add a bone graft. At least this was vaguely what I remembered from vet school, he, he, he... I am sure you're part primate too.

So I would say, it is up to your orthopedist. As I understand, a bone plate straddled across a bone does not make it stronger than before. Actually, by bearing the weight or stress of the bone, it actually make the bone weaker. So be careful, and don't think that you are a bionic man with a stronger arm than previously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom