How long between your open water and advanced open water course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it was about 20 dives. I think that was about just right. It gave me time to work on weighting/buoyancy issues and trim before I went to AOW.

OW april 2012, AOW june 2012

Ah, another fast one. Did you find that the 'advanced' course benefited you in any way which you wouldn't have found out on your own during fun diving?

Ah, another fast one. Did you find that the 'advanced' course benefited you in any way which you wouldn't have found out on your own during fun diving?

yes and no, based on my 40 current dives... 20 were unguided and the others were not with my instructor.. the purpose of doing the AOW was to get more focused dive time with the instructor and to be certified for deep diving, so yes i got benefit out of it.

However no dive shop has asked me if i had advanced before doing any dive below 60ft so in that aspect it was useless. But the additional instructor thought me skills that i may not have learned during fun dives as i would have nobody to point things out to me (my dive buddy was certified with me), and without knowing what to look for it'll be hard to further improve.

TBH however, scubaboard does provide a wealth of information that has helped me to further improve my diving and if i had an experienced mentor i probably wouldnt have needed AOW in its current format

It's hard to say if it's a good or bad idea to go straight from one to the other. Personally I took OW on one weekend and then AOW on the next weekend. I just figured it was a way to learn more quicker but you can certainly learn a lot on your own. I think I would have learned more or at least the skills would have been more obvious if I had waited longer and just dove.

OW 9/2012
EAN 1/2013
AOW 6/2013

I had a minimal amount of dives between each. OW was by far the hardest of the 3. AOW make me more conscience of diving etiquette and helped get my buoyancy under control. There wasn't anything covered in AOW which I couldn't handle. I had 11 or 12 dives when I took AOW.

I would say location has to come into consideration here as well. I trained in Jupiter, which means 80-90ft drift diving is the norm.

AOW came at dives #50-54. I now have my Nitrox card, last year, and am thinking with the 100 dives I now have I am going to do Rescue.

Back
Top Bottom