How long between your open water and advanced open water course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it was during the same week, I'm glad I did it that way. I knew that I was in no way an advanced diver, but had passed the AOW course. which to me is a totally different thing. I knew I still had a lot to learn, and still do.

I'm gald the PPB instructor got your weights right. Unfortunately you should have ended OW knowing how to do that yourself. I hope you ended up with the skills to continue to check your weighting as you change or when there is a change in your gear. It sounds like you are aware of many of the puts and takes.

Pete

The problem with me is that I'm a freak for animals, including marine life. I was already really excited after seeing just two turtles and a few lionfishes whilst snorkelling so just imagine how big my Chinaman eyes were when I went back with scuba gear? :D It's not that I haven't seen them before. It's just that I like animals so to hell with the lower body heavy trim then! :D

About 4 years

Last edited:
Certified in December 1997, did 20 dives on two trips, and then Summer of 1998 did my AOW. I felt that I had sufficient "real dive" experience to make the AOW worth while, and it was. I think the time interval is less significant than dive time accrued, or number of "real" dive accrued. I recommend people get at least 15 dives after open water before starting the AOW. More is better. Everyone is different, and is "ready " at a different time.
DivemasterDennis

An interesting question... when I was originally certified it was only because shops were starting to require a C-Card to get air. Took the YMCA course in '71, AFAIK there were only two Scuba ratings - Scuba Diver and Instructor. After certification the only reasons I saw the inside of a dive shop were to get air and the occasional new rubber band for my spear gun. I was an occasional recreational diver until I bought my own compressor, then it was to the dive shop only for rubber bands and once every five years for a hydro on my tank. It was in '95, I think, when my reg started breathing really wet that I went to the local dive shop to buy an exhalation valve for my 24 year old Conshelf, expecting to spend a couple of bucks for the valve.

You'd have thought I'd asked 'em to rob a bank! "This is life support equipment! We can't just sell you parts! We'd be LIABLE if anything else failed on the regulator! Where's your octopus? You need an octopus! We have to overhaul that reg before we can ... do anything!"

Long story short, before I'd left the shop, in addition to a regulator overhaul, I'd bought an integrated safe second, an "Advanced" class for me, an OW refresher for my bride, and a Blackbeard's cruise for 2!

So, the answer to the original question? 24 years.

But I have to put in this little tidbit - I found the "Advanced" course fell far short of the '71 YMCA course in many ways (as there were no BC's or SPG's or Safe Seconds in the '71 course it's not a straight apples-to-apples comparison - and no running laps and doing push-ups with a tank on my back in the advanced course!).
:)
Rick

Algebra is pure theory. Diving is some theory, but mostly practical skills.
Either way, the analogy stands: there's nothing about "AOW" that makes anyone an "Advanced Diver" and/or that can't be learned/taught right after OW, other than in the case of a deficient OW course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom