How long does it take to service a reg set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to ship from California to Scubatoys in Dallas. Total turn-around time was usually under 10 days with two-way UPS shipping. (BTW I never had a problem with the quality of service.) I now actually have a personal relationship wih my LDS so they get my business with good service.

Thank you everyone. I should have asked, what is the average turn around time?
She services ScubaPro, AquaLung, Atomic, and a few others. All service is done in-house by her, no other tech works there. I am about to give up, drive down there tomorrow to pick it up and just send it off. Guess I'll be using a rental on my next dive.
I'm sure she has a lot on her plate, but really? This long?

Hummmm it may be she is not being exactly honest with you. Its odd (not impossible but odd) to be a dealer for both SP and AL at the same time, much less all of those brands at once. Fairly large shops usually carry one or at most 2 major brands (or brand families like AL and Apeks) and maybe one lesser one. If she is not an authorized dealer in the brand you need serviced, it's very likely she does not have easy access to parts and is getting them through back door means which can take a while if you don't have a reliable source. If she really is an authorized dealer for that many brands then there is no way she could handle that much work on her own, to keep a major brand you have to have enough sales otherwise they drop you...no way one person could handle that much work. I may be totally wrong but my BS meter is moving upscale...
I would do this, go in and ask for a loaner reg since yours is taking so long...all of the shops around here do that if they have to hold your reg for a while..if that is not something they will do, ask for your reg back NOW. It is either out getting serviced, in pieces in the back or just on the shelf, you will find out for sure. If it's in pieces "waiting for parts" insist it be put back together as is and returned, don't leave without it and refuse to pay anything as no service has been done. It takes a good tech maybe 5 minutes to just reassemble a reg with no cleaning or adjustment. Then get it to a good shop but please fill them in on the entire story so they will not be surprized if parts are missing....and keep any bill for any parts that are missing but not in a normal service kit...she owes you for those as well....although I doubt you will get your money for them.

+1 What Herman says. It was one bad service experience that motivated me to buy Regulator Savvy, a few tools and do the work myself. Now I'd almost prefer to do a service job on a reg set as dive (I said almost).

Thank you everyone. I should have asked, what is the average turn around time?
She services ScubaPro, AquaLung, Atomic, and a few others. All service is done in-house by her, no other tech works there. I am about to give up, drive down there tomorrow to pick it up and just send it off. Guess I'll be using a rental on my next dive.
I'm sure she has a lot on her plate, but really? This long?

If you're in a hurry, the place I teach at can usually do about 3 days if it's a brand they do a lot of (SCUBAPro/Oceanic/Atomic), although normal turn-around is 1-2 weeks.

flots

Thank you everyone.
All I know is that she rents out SP regs, BCD's, fins, etc. She also rents out AL BCD's and wetsuits and I believe she has a few AL regs for rent.
She's an amazing person, great to chat with and cares about everyone's safety. But it takes weeks, even months to service a reg...and I can't stand renting when I clearly own what I need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom