How long is acceptable for a wing to hold air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even more importantly, as a boat owner I have 6 Class V inflatable PFD's onboard inflation option.

I take all six of them at least annually and inflate them and also leave overnight.
Same PFDs, I will do this also now , never thought to inflate the PFDs , I just give them a quick look over and also check the CO2 cartridge and note the date in a log every 3 months, having had a dive charter boat in the past you record everything. [ Inflate like my BC overnight, to stay on topic ].
Good idea.

Edit: My usual typos.:tired:

So I filled the bath tub up with water and immersed the wing as best I could all over the place and could not find anything...no tiny bubbles...no big bubbles...nothing....In a 24 hour period I would say it lost 5-10% meaning if I inflated the wing so it was very taught in 24 hours I could notice it softening a little bit. Not a lot by any means but just when you squeeze the wing it is not super taught anymore. I checked the corrugated hose, the inflator, the dump valve and then all around the bladder and could not find anything

So I filled the bath tub up with water and immersed the wing as best I could all over the place and could not find anything...no tiny bubbles...no big bubbles...nothing....In a 24 hour period I would say it lost 5-10% meaning if I inflated the wing so it was very taught in 24 hours I could notice it softening a little bit. Not a lot by any means but just when you squeeze the wing it is not super taught anymore. I checked the corrugated hose, the inflator, the dump valve and then all around the bladder and could not find anything
Dive away

This sounds perfectly normal. I would have no problem using that wing.

Did you look at the dump valve? Try removing it, clean the rubber piece then put back together and tighten it up. Same with the connection of the corrugated hose connection with the wing. That fixed the issue with my Zeagle.

That is nothing in the grand scheme of things.... as others said, dive it! With the various fittings (with associated large surface area seals) and the fact that there were no visible bubbles, It's most likely a very minor minor seep at one of the fittings. And more hassle than it's worth to track down. Put it in perspective.... the worst case scenario for needing a BC to hold air long term is lost at sea. With your minor seep, you would need to oral inflate a fraction of a breath once a day.... not precisely an issue!
Further, I'm not familiar with that particular wing, but many use a coated nylon for the bladder (whether single layer or bladder in shell). the coatings are not always perfect and may allow a very slow seep through the fabric itself. Also not an issue at the rate you have, if that's the source.

Respectfully,

James

I agree with the above. I have had BC's that have pin holes from fish or lobster spines. As long as you identify the source of the leak and can confirm that it is self contained and not prone to a progressive failure or catastrophic failure, then I don't worry about it. Eventually you can hear the BC fizzing and this becomes enough of an annoyance then I might address it.

On the other hand, BC's are not that robust. Plastic parts can decompose and fail catastrophically, springs can and do fail to hold pressure, plastic zip ties can degrade and fail. Fittings can commonly become loose and partially unscrewed. All of these types of issues are potentially serious and should be investigated as possible sources of a small leak.

Like I said, you are now getting into a teritory of diminishing returns.
Yeah, take appart dump valve and inflator hose, but IMO, you have equal chances of both fixing your leak or making it worse.
Question thought, how did you inflate it to test? Using your tank or oral?

Check on the dump valve if the spring is keyed correctly. There are two grooves that the spring should sit in.

Otherwise. I'd dive that.

Like I said, you are now getting into a teritory of diminishing returns.
Yeah, take appart dump valve and inflator hose, but IMO, you have equal chances of both fixing your leak or making it worse.
Question thought, how did you inflate it to test? Using your tank or oral?
Orally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom