How long to wait after wisdom teeth removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive had 3 of my four wisdom teeth pulled, two of those where upper ones.
What my dentist did was make me "equalize" (hold my nose and blow) to make sure there was no passage from the sinuses to the mouth where the teeth had been removed. She pretty much told me that as long as theres no passage, you can dive, but if there IS you should wait till its healed to avoid infections.

I still didnt feel like biting on a mouthpice for the next couple of days anyways though..

Folks,
I need to have a couple of wisdom teeth removed this summer and just wondering how long to wait before diving again?

You need to wait for next one month more because your teeth can get injured during dive. Your dentist can give you some liquid to apply on your teeth which will work very well on your teeth. Ask to your dentist to get more advice.

Good advice, I had my wisdom teeth removed about 5 days ago and still very sore. Probably expect to be out of commission from diving for at least another 4-6 weeks as it is very slow to heal. Oh well at least by then hopefully both my mouth will be healed up and my new DUI drysuit will arrive! Then i can dive dry and comfy in Monterey!

The biggest initial problem with wisdom tooth extraction, as I sadly fear you have learned, is pain control.

After that, it's avoiding hemorrhage or dry socket. In my experience, it seems that the peak time for hemorrhage is 5 to 7 days postop. I'm not sure about dry socket, because I rarely see those patients.

I think a month is probably a good length of time -- by then, you will know if you have had any complications, and if you have not, you will be well-healed.

I had my four pulled when I was landlocked, so diving afterward wasn't an issue. However, I had hot dates after both days of oral surgery and the lovely lady practically pulled my sutures out with her deep kisses. Sigh.

Cool well it's been almost 30 days and I feel fine now. I have dental checkup in a week. My post-op follow up with the oral surgeon went well a while back so I am excited to dive again. Especially now that my new drysuit has arrived!

Hi t4e,

You ask a common question but it requires a complex response.

You would think that if an unerupted wisdom tooth is not causing any problems then why subject a person to what seems to be needless surgery. Here's the answer and the reasoning behind the answer.

First, humans used to have 4th molars. Over time our jaws got smaller and not only did we no longer need these teeth, we also lost the room for them on the smaller remaining jaw. Well, most of us no longer get 4th molars. We still however, get 3rd molars... Wisdom Teeth. Our jaws are STILL getting smaller... especially people with a European lineage... so we simply no longer have the room for these teeth to make it all the way into the mouth. Additionally, wisdom teeth, are frequently malformed or out of position.

The net result is that IN PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE THE ROOM or PEOPLE WHO HAVE WISDOM TEETH OUT OF POSITION are at a high risk of serious problems associated with these teeth. These problems include serious infections and damage to the teeth that are already in the mouth when the wisdom teeth bump into their roots, gum problems and bite problems.

Wisdom teeth are most easily extracted when they are still forming. So, wisdom tooth extraction recommendations occur somewhere in the middle teenage years—when the roots are about 2/3's formed.

Extraction of wisdom teeth... especially lower wisdom teeth can be problematic. They frequently are forming near the main nerve that supplies the feeling to the lower teeth, LIP and CHIN. Trauma to this nerve can result in a condition called paresthesia... numbness, possibly permanent of the lip and chin. Before the root tips are completely formed, there is a soft "pad" of tissue at the root end of the tooth. This serves to cushion the forces applied to the tooth during extraction when the root is near the nerve. Upper wisdom teeth may be in or near the maxillary sinuses.

Partially formed wisdom teeth also are less likely to have hooked roots... the hooks haven't formed yet.

Waiting to see if an impacted (under skin and/or bone) wisdom tooth will cause future problems means that should an extraction finally be necessary as an adult, then we are more likely to have to deal with paresthesias or difficult teeth to extract. The bone in adults is harder than in younger people. This can make an already difficult extraction even harder. Adults are far more likely to experience loss of feeling following lower wisdom tooth extractions. In some cases, when wisdom teeth are already next to the nerve, the dentist may recommend NOT to extract UNLESS problems start to occur. Then conditions like repeated or serious infections take precedence over being cautious about paresthesia.

I don't know actual statistics but my experience is that at some point, most impacted or malpositioned wisdom teeth go on to need extraction anyway because of the problems they cause.

If you haven't experienced the pain associated with an infection around an impacted wisdom tooth, you cannot begin to understand how awful it is.

So rather than wait for these problems as an adult, dentists recommend extraction when it is obvious that the wisdom teeth will come completely into the mouth. This can be predicted with great certainty.

Finally, unerupted teeth, not just wisdom teeth have a chance for dentigerous cyst formation. While not common, when it occurs, it can destroy a lot of bone and the removal of the tooth and cyst is also more destructive. Unerupted wisdom teeth also are associated with a locally invasive tumor...ameloblastoma. If you think a cyst is destructive, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Knowing what I know, it is my opinion that it is better to get the wisdom teeth out before they become a problem... even if it means surgery before problems have occurred. This is an opinion shared by most dentists.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT WISDOM TOOTH EXTRACTION RECOMMENDATIONS ARE NOT FOR TEETH THAT HAVE ROOM OR ARE EXPECTED TO SUCCESSFULLY ERUPT INTO THE MOUTH.

Finally, the patient or the patient's parents have the final say before surgery. The dentist cannot make you undergo surgery but he can certainly recommend a course of treatment that is in the best health interests of the patient.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Laurence Stein, DDS

Having had all four wisdom teeth removed in my mid-20's, I can say that if it would have been easier to do in my teens, I wish it had been done then . . . it wasn't a fun experience at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom