how loud are Electric air compressors ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my mch6 is not too bad. My wife and my dog can sleep 5 meter away from it, but they are Asian, they can sleep everywhere. How to tell? You can still speak close to it, if you speak louder and understand each other. And it is a steady noise lower frequenz. Much less disturbing than someone drilling the wall.
But on thin walls the neighbor who want to hear classic music might kill you.
Hard to tell, for someone it might be no problem at all while other might be very disturbed. Might be the same like a usual low pressure compressor, just it does not cycle....

my mch6 is not too bad. My wife and my dog can sleep 5 meter away from it, but they are Asian, they can sleep everywhere. How to tell? You can still speak close to it, if you speak louder and understand each other. And it is a steady noise lower frequenz. Much less disturbing than someone drilling the wall.
But on thin walls the neighbor who want to hear classic music might kill you.
Hard to tell, for someone it might be no problem at all while other might be very disturbed. Might be the same like a usual low pressure compressor, just it does not cycle....

Alot of the noise produced by a compressor comes from the intake. I you remove your intake filter and run the compressor you will see what I meen. If you can run a intake hose to a remote location and install a larger intake filter, this can reduce the noise level somewhat.
A rule of thumb when sizing an intake systems, add 1/4 in dia. for every 10ft of run and for every 90 deg. elbow. Add the sum of the 1/4 inchs to the original intake diameter.
Nothing much you can do about grumpy neighbors.:idk:
ZDD

just that how loud are 5000 psi compressor ?

Depends on the compressor and to some extent installation, not the psi.

Loud enough that for hour after hour exposure, hearing protection is a good idea. Often around 80db which is similar to heavy truck traffic.

Also speed. Little buzzy 3000 rpm compressors like the MCH6, Junior and Rix, are often much noisier than larger compressors, that run at 1400 rpm so so.

If noise is important, most compressors can be quieted down a bit by changing the motor pulley to lower the rpm.

My Utilus 10 isn't too bad. I wouldn't want to run it with neighbors close by. I have it in the garage and I can talk easily 15'-20' away.
The bigger the CFM the noisier it will get also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom