Own Compressor in Backyard - Extension Cable? Noise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Self-Fillers,

I plan to set up my own compressor. Since the basement is not suited for running a compressor (noise, space, air), I have the idea to run it in the backyard.
The place would be at least 80ft off houses and near a small forrest. The mobile compressor would be mounted on a wheele frame and the compressor will be
driven by a single phase electric motor (Bauer PE100-TW or Junior II). A gasoline engine is not an option since I'm afraid of CO etc.

According to this thread:
I would only fill one Al80 at once or two with a break avoiding hot sunlight.

Did anyone allready run hist single phase electric compressor (~2.2kW) on an extension cable. How loud is a mobile compressor at 80ft distance?

Best Regards,
André

What about Bambi mate

Drill a hole in the basement and run a pipe for air blow a fan on the compressor to cool and close the door

I used to run mine in a small backyard surrounded by many houses. Never a problem, just made sure I did not run it too early or late or when neighbours had visitors partying in backyard.

However, you should be able to run in the basement. I now run under my house (not basement) and suck air from a spot away from compressor. Have done this for 15 years. Keeps noise down for neighbours, but inside house relatively loud.

Garage?

I could run one in my basement without too much noise. Especially since it can run while Im at work and bank 4000psi into multiple welding tanks.

After pricing that out, its smarter and more responsible, to go the rebreather route instead.

Hello Self-Fillers,

I plan to set up my own compressor. Since the basement is not suited for running a compressor (noise, space, air), I have the idea to run it in the backyard.
The place would be at least 80ft off houses and near a small forrest. The mobile compressor would be mounted on a wheele frame and the compressor will be
driven by a single phase electric motor (Bauer PE100-TW or Junior II). A gasoline engine is not an option since I'm afraid of CO etc.

Did anyone allready run hist single phase electric compressor (~2.2kW) on an extension cable. How loud is a mobile compressor at 80ft distance?

Best Regards,
André
I can answer for the sound pressure level.
The noise power emitted by the Bauer Junior II compressor is rated by the manufacturer as a sound power level of 100 dB(A) (re 1 pW).
Hence the sound pressure level at a distance d of 80 meters is:
SPL=Lw-11-20×log10(d)=50.9 dB(A)
It is a quite acceptable noise level in a residential area during daytime.

An 80' extension cord (A German using feet for measuring?) is going to be an expensive extension cord.
You listed 3 items regarding the basement as a location. Air should be a non-issue, remote intake will fix that. Hearing protection will take care of the noise, and the neighbors will find it quieter in your basement instead of the back yard. Maybe shared walls or basement space would make it an issue? But that would still be an issue in the back yard as well. 80' isn't that far from a building either if you have attached walls to the neighbors. The only concern left is space, which leads to the question of where will this be stored at when not used?

Hello Self-Fillers,

Best Regards,
André
You'd be better off to run an extension for your intake from the basement outside. It will solve most of your noise/air concerns as it will be drawing in fresh air from outside and quite a bit of the noise on the compressors is from the intake. You will still have some mechanical noise and the fans are not really designed for noise so there is some of that but the intake is probably 50% of it.

Space shouldn't be an issue as a JRII is fairly small and you still have to store it somewhere. That 80ft extension cord is going to be quite expensive and also quite big/heavy/unwieldy and running it out there is going to be a righteous PITA.

Definitely would put it in the basement.
If it's not convenient you will hardly use it, (that my rule).

Electric compressor is not that bad, try it with a gas engine. The vibration is half the noise,
Mine is swappable , gas or electric,
With electric you can hear yourself think.

Basement with a 6cm+ diameter air snorkel.
Wheeling even a Bauer Jr outside in the muddy rain with a giant thumb sized extension cord is a really bad idea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom