How low of a visibility can you stand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the dive (environment, objective and so on).

I like great vis like every one else but I dive some real muck and it can still be fun.

If I have at least 5 foot of vis, I can enjoy the dive. When it drops to 2 foot or worse, I call the dive. I don't see the point of diving if I can't see anything more than my guages.

FD

2 meters is enough to reasonably enjoy a dive. If the vis is any less than that, I'll keep it pretty shallow or call the dive. Diving deep in poor vis can be dangerous. If there's a fishing net or some other hazard you won't see it until its too late.

Crazy Fingers:
I've done close to it and certainly don't like it! I can handle it without freaking out, but definitely want to get out of the water and just nix the whole dive. What viz do you need to enjoy the dive though?

Well, there are some dives which are dive by brail to begin with but the ultimate goal of the dive opens up to 3-10' of vis... pesonally, I'm groovy with 3-5' of vis to be really happy, anything more than 10' and less than 100' is like being given a gift, past that I feel like I'm in an aquarium! :D

Zero vis is lousy, but can be done if I don't have a dive buddy that I have to worry about (always have a dive buddy you don't need to babysit). I prefer to have 10 feet to enjoy a dive, otherwise, it's too much like search and recovery work and work isn't always fun, but then again it's still a dive!

Ten feet is an enjoyable dive. Anything more than that is lovely.

I have done a couple of dives where I stayed about 12 inches off the bottom in order to be able to SEE the bottom, and that really isn't a whole lot of fun. But I haven't yet called a dive because of viz that bad.

The few times I have gotten into true zero viz, I haven't liked it much. I would not continue a dive if I could not establish visual contact with the bottom.

for work. it is what it is..
for fun. as long asi can read my computer and spg

Anything from zero up is good. I have been known to create my own light obilterating silt cloud to play in at a local lake. No worries about ruining the viz for others--I'm the only one diving the lake.

I dove my small private 2 acre farm pond. Didnt need a budy because I would have needed to hold hands. I went down to the deepest spot at 18ft. and had to stick my mask to the bottom to actually see it. Used a dive light to see my spg. All in all I learned that I could dive in low vis but that it would not be as interesting and that I would save my dives for better diving conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom