How major of NDL benefits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
Is that the one they called the Fridge?

Tis' the legendary fridge. I saw a WKPP'er pick one up from the ground to load onto a truck. I really thought he would get a hernia, or brain aneurism. :light:

Mr.X:
Tis' the legendary fridge. I saw a WKPP'er pick one up from the ground to load onto a truck. I really thought he would get a hernia, or brain aneurism. :light:
Forklift would be the "Right" choice. :wink:

Mr.X:
A CCR is certainly a terrific nitrox mixing machine. Having a steady PO2 is a real blessing. Not having to dive the Doria with so many stages/bailouts is so welcome...although I do miss the "macho effect" when posing for the cameras! :)

The Doria can be a tricky madame. Curious...is your instructor taking pluggable gas for his unit? 10 hours is a long stretch of time for a set of 19's. I personally like knowing I have a bare minimum of thirds in the bottles.

Hi Mr. X, my instructor does have a way to plug in any offboard gas needed. I think he was refering to his back gas consumption, not literally jumping in to do a 2.5 hr dive with only 50 bar. He's a stickler for carring BO, so he would always have more gas to plug in if needed.

Mr.X:
LOL. I think the big prize winner of the bunch was the Halcyon PVR with twin 80's. It was a monster.
Yes, a manly machine! The little vertical pump injected pure testosterone into the loop. :D

silent running:
Hi Mr. X, my instructor does have a way to plug in any offboard gas needed. I think he was refering to his back gas consumption, not literally jumping in to do a 2.5 hr dive with only 50 bar. He's a stickler for carring BO, so he would always have more gas to plug in if needed.

Thanks. I was just wondering. If he is who I think he is...I know that he's a stickler + nice guy. There are/were only so many folks diving the Doria with their Prisms in the early 2000's. :D

Hey...Caveseeker...that injector...what triggered gas additions? Was it the ratio/ closing of the bellows that hit a mechanical trigger to inject? Needless to say, the minute I saw the monster I said "no way Jose". My CCR at the time was far more efficient & streamlined - however, one had to endure many "yellow box" of death jabs and you're "gonna die" comments at the time. :D

well.... I think there would be more then one person out there who would argue that decompressing on a constant pp02 is not the most efficent; but we all know were to gather that opinion.

I do more recrational diving on the CCR then technical diving and I still think it is worth every penny..... for the multitude of reasons already cited

cameron:
well.... I think there would be more then one person out there who would argue that decompressing on a constant pp02 is not the most efficent; but we all know were to gather that opinion.

I do more recrational diving on the CCR then technical diving and I still think it is worth every penny..... for the multitude of reasons already cited

The only part I would argue in the OC vs. CCR for NDL / Rec. diving is the aggregate cost involved and the time spent in properly maintaining the unit. I wholeheartedly agree the CCR is the best thing under the sun for exploration-type diving, but the hassle for rec. depths is hardly worth the bother for me. Again, I stress this is for me only.

Taking the darn thing apart, drying heads, replacing sensors, bubble checks, pre-breathes, analyzing gas, lubing orings, pressure checks, taking apart hoses, fixing molex connections and sanitizing the loop is a major pain. Having done this for years I am no longer game when it comes a choice between donning a doubles and simply splashing in. Maybe, I am losing interest in diving?
Anyone want to buy some super nice RB's??? Just kidding? :)

Mr.X:
The only part I would argue in the OC vs. CCR for NDL / Rec. diving is the aggregate cost involved and the time spent in properly maintaining the unit. I wholeheartedly agree the CCR is the best thing under the sun for exploration-type diving, but the hassle for rec. depths is hardly worth the bother for me. Again, I stress this is for me only.

Taking the darn thing apart, drying heads, replacing sensors, bubble checks, pre-breathes, analyzing gas, lubing orings, pressure checks, taking apart hoses, fixing molex connections and sanitizing the loop is a major pain. Having done this for years I am no longer game when it comes a choice between donning a doubles and simply splashing in. Maybe, I am losing interest in diving?
Anyone want to buy some super nice RB's??? Just kidding? :)

Hi X, yes I understand the PITA rec diving factor. But I'm curious to know which unit has been breaking your balls? I do mostly "rec" dives with minimal deco and spend about 45 minutes at the begining of the dive day doing set up if I have to replace the scrubber. If it's a no scrubbber change day, it's more like 15-20. Either way, I get a good 5 hrs dive time out of the set ups. Some units are simpler than others...

silent running:
Hi X, yes I understand the PITA rec diving factor. But I'm curious to know which unit has been breaking your balls? I do mostly "rec" dives with minimal deco and spend about 45 minutes at the begining of the dive day doing set up if I have to replace the scrubber. If it's a no scrubbber change day, it's more like 15-20. Either way, I get a good 5 hrs dive time out of the set ups. Some units are simpler than others...

I think they all break your balls and are twitchy to one degree or another*. More examples: Hammerheads in multiples going out, entire wiring harnesses corroding, troubleshooting time, returning stuff to the factory etc. The actual prep. time for a clean, functioning unit isn't bad at all. And again, there is nothing quite like a CCR for those deep, long, nasty dives or long dive weekends. It's the after dive routine maintenance which bites. Properly disinfecting a loop is particularly toothsome and the Classic Kiss is among the worst of the bunch - IMO. You need hands like ET to remove counterlungs from the CL shroud. As much as I like the simplicity of the CK, it’s like a Pomeranian wishing it was a Mastiff (Meg, MK, Boris or Cis).

Anyway, I know I should be promoting CCR’s as an inst., but as Mr. X (The CCR Grinch) I say OC, with a nitrox mix is as easy as it comes. Again, this comment is directed to folks who are waffling on the OC/CCR fence and never plan to do anything beyond NDL, or 5 ATM.

• can't say this about the RB 80…no leccies, but will bust your balls at the bank!

Cheers,

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom