How many dive cylinders do you currently own ? [Poll]

How many dive cylinders do you currently own ?

• Zero cylinders.

Votes: 41 11.9%
  • 1-2 cylinders

Votes: 50 14.5%
  • 3-4 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 5-6 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 7-8 cylinders

Votes: 29 8.4%
  • More then 8 cylinders.

Votes: 132 38.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likely not. And I am arguably "doing it wrong" as many of my tanks sit full for as many as several months and some of those fills are O2 rich (or even pure O2). However, I have never, since getting my own compressor, found any internal problem in any of my tanks. (The dew point of my air as tested is -73F, so there is essentially no water in them for all practical purposes.)
I might mention that even at very low 1 ATM dew points the dew point under pressure is much higher. I blame transport when very cold for some tiny rust spots I get.

Lots of fellow "Tank Farmers" here !
I have a compulsive Nitrox Hoarding disorder !! :)

Off the top of my head I have:

2 sets of double 119's - trimix diluent banks
2 HP100's - oxygen banks
2 HP100's - single tanks
1 LP72 - single tank
3 AL80's - CCR bailout
4 AL72's - CCR bailout
4 AL40's - CCR bailout
1 AL30 - CCR bailout
4 HP23's - CCR
3 AL14's - CCR
2 AL13's - inflation
2 AL6's - inflation

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm forgetting a tank or two and I probably need a few more and to sell a few as well.

Do those who own 12 and more cylinders: where do you store them all ?

I store mine in my basement. I built a wooden work bench where the singles, doubles, bailouts, etc live on the floor and the smaller tanks live in milk crates on top.

How many dive cylinders do you currently own ?

What is the advantage of owning that number of cylinders ?

Why do you chose not to own any dive cylinders ?

Feel free to make any comments about owning vs not owning dive cylinders.

If you had unlimited funds (but not necessarily unlimited space), what would be the ideal number of cylinders you like to own ? Why ?

I own 11 cylinders.

2 x AL80 doubles
1 x HP 100 doubles
4 x AL40 deco bottles
1 AL6 argon bottle

Having 3 sets of doubles allows me to fill one or two sets with trimix when needed and keep a set or two for air and nitrox diving. Having four AL40 deco bottles allows me to fill two oxygen and two Nitrox50 bottles for most of the technical dives I do. With the exception of the Roy A. Jodrey at 250 feet, the other deepest wrecks in the St. Lawrence near me are the A.E. Vickery, Oconto, and J.B.King all lying in the 150 - 170 feet maximum depth range. A typical bottom time is about 30 minutes with a one or two gas switch so the AL40's are ideal. I have access to all the extra stages, scooters, and deco bottles I want through my friends Jimmy and Jay who each own dive shops. I don't need to pay for these so it frees up real estate around the house and allows me to use AL80's for single tank diving, bottom mixes, and deco mixes as required. I grab what I need for cave diving and diving the Jodrey.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd just buy Tiger Woods' yacht with all of his cylinders aboard. I should have become a pro golfer who dives rather than a pro diver who can't golf.

4 x 3L
AL40
2 x AL80
2 x HP100
That is the primary collection that gets use

I keep an old 72 in the non-dive boat, just in case of anchor retrival or de-fouling needs. The smaller diameter fits under the seat where the larger AL80s and the like just don't fit. It was also my first tank and the last of my original dive gear that is still usable.

There are a few others I don't really have inventoried. There is one that is condemned, but useful when you want a tank shaped object you don't have to care about. Some 1800 PSI bastard. Just picked up a little AL13 that is out of hydro and VIS but still full of Argon.

Then if we start adding in the welding cylinders (CO2, MIG mix, Oxy, Acetylene, Argon, spares)
There are probably more that I am not thinking of right now.

All personal use, no training. Couple that I should probably get rid of.

6x PST HP120's-2 sets of doubles, 1 set of sidemount-got 4 for free
4x Faber LP121's-1 set of sidemount, 2x CCR dilout bottles
2x Faber LP50's-CCR Rack
4x AL40's-deco but no idea how I ended up with that many
8x AL80's-stages and deco
2x FX23's CCR
1x AL14 CCR
2x LP72's-O2

2x sets of doubles is nice because I can go to the ocean and do 2 days of diving without needing fills. I get free gas at home so it's nice. Also convenient if teaching for the same reasons.
2 sets of sidemount is for different size diving or different gas mixes
2 sets of sidemount CCR dilout bottles is for different mixes
LP50's are for my CCR
All of the 80's are for different mixes and just quantity. Taking 3 stage bottles and 1 AL80 of O2 for deco is not uncommon, and having spares is never a bad thing and you can dedicate bottles to mixes so you don't have to drain and refill. AL80's are cheap.

I currently have about as many tanks as I want/need. If I have reasons to buy more, I will buy more as the need arises which is how most all of those came into my posession

If you are diving locally, no reason to not own your own tanks

Well there is a reason for borrowing/renting a tank locally. To try it out and see how you like it. I was running AL80s until I was loaned a HP100 and realized how good they are. At which point the AL80s were shifted to spares and the 100s became the primary tanks. The extra tanks are nice if doing a couple days of diving and don't have to make a mad dash to the shop to get them filled. That turned into a mute point with the addition of the rebreather. I still have them, waiting to see how my home filling is going to work out before decide to let them go.

I think everyone will own a couple of AL80 sometime in there diving lifetime. Great economical starter tank. Good to have so you can dial stuff in for travel since nearly every resort runs 80s.

4x Faber HP 100's - perfect for back-to-back days of 2-tank diving without having refill issues
1 AL 19 - pony for solo diving

I own the HP133 because it saves me money on fills. I get 3 dives to 70+ out of it. It does not trim out very well on me but cash is king s I dive every weekend 7 months out of the year and a few weekends in winter weather permitting (no dry suit :() The 117 I just ordered as I think it will trim out better on me than the 133 and is still a ton of gas ...I will get at least 2 long dives out of each fill. I like the buoyancy characteristics of steel cylinders and as I said... Cash is king !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom