How many dive cylinders do you currently own ? [Poll]

How many dive cylinders do you currently own ?

• Zero cylinders.

Votes: 41 11.9%
  • 1-2 cylinders

Votes: 50 14.5%
  • 3-4 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 5-6 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 7-8 cylinders

Votes: 29 8.4%
  • More then 8 cylinders.

Votes: 132 38.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Number Owned: Zero
Advantage: I don't get asked to do any local diving work
Reason: I do not do any freshwater scuba or teaching anymore

If I had unlimited funds, I would have an aggressor style boat equipped with all the gear I need to go on a 2 year dive the world mission.
Doesn't take that much. You can buy the Fling for about $1.3M and put $3-400k in it. Fuel would indeed suck, though.

So I always wonder what value these types of polls provide. I own more than 8 tanks - I dive doubles and such (2 pony bottles) but there are 3 current divers in my family. So do I really own more than 8 - well yes I use them all... but with a caveat... we split them up if we dive together...

Doesn't take that much. You can buy the Fling for about $1.3M and put $3-400k in it. Fuel would indeed suck, though.

Huge difference between the Fling and an Aggressor. No offense to the Fling, it's a great boat with its purpose.

How many dive cylinders do you currently own ?

About 20, including the ones two of my kids use. Some of these are made up into twinsets. A few are stage cylinders.

I have 4 cascade cylinders on my compressor. I also have a couple of oddball cylinders that are mainly useful for inflating tires, and a couple of SCBA cylinders. And one 3cf cylinder that I use when soaking regs.

What is the advantage of owning that number of cylinders ?

We use them for shore diving and have our own boat. We can spend a weekend at a remote dive site where air fills are not available.

If you had unlimited funds (but not necessarily unlimited space), what would be the ideal number of cylinders you like to own ? Why ?

In general, we dive four types of cylinders:
1. LP72s, which we use for "typical" dives.
2. HP120s, which we use for somewhat longer dives.
3. Twinsets, which I use for non-decompression solo dives at depths greater than 30 feet. I have several sizes but the HP100 twins are the most useful for that.
4. Stage/pony cylinders.

If it were just me, I'd want to have maybe a dozen cylinders -- two twinsets, four HP120s, and four LP72s, and maybe a stage or two.

Currently have 24 tanks
Steels
6- hp 100's can be doubled
1- 96
4- 72"s
1- 53
1- set double 53's
2- sets double 50's
1- 20

Alum
2- sets double 50's
1- 80
1- 30
1- 13

I remember a story a few years back where someone started there own hydro station because they had so many cylinders that needed hydros. The money saved in hydro costs more than paid for the hydro station. There were a LOT of tanks involved.

To those with a lot of Al tanks:

Do you store them full when not in use for a while*** or do you actually drain to 500PSI or such?

*** If that never happens for you, kudus, but it happens for me...
I own 10 AL 80s. I keep em full.

I own 10 AL 80s. I keep em full.

I understand that corrosion is less an issue with AL then with steel.

According to some studies, it would seem that in general it might be better to store the cylinders nearly empty of gas.

Three sets of doubles, some stages and deco thingys. I like to have enough so I can go away someplace, dive my face off and not have to figure out where to get fills.

Mrs. Stoo has some as well, but not as many, cuz she's a tiny thing and basically sips air.

We have:
  • 4 x 12 litre (100 cf) steel
  • 4 x 10 litre (80 cf) steel
  • 1 x 9 litre (75 cf) steel
  • 3 x 11 litre (90 cf) aluminium
  • 1 x 4 litre aluminium
  • 3 x 2.5 litre aluminium
  • 1 x 2.5 litre steel
And probably a few more I have forgotten!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom