How many divers got hooked on scuba through Discover Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wife & I in the Maldives literally saw the notice on the Dive Centre Notice Board, decided it might be fun, walked out of the water and signed up. First Class - That afternoon!!

15 months & 50 dives each later, we are both Advanced and Nitrox, about to go on our second Liveaboard in the Red Sea.

DSD hooked us both for sure.

Best Regards

Richard

I took a DSD in Cancun, Mexico in 1995. 2 years later I was an instructor, 2 years after that I moved to Kauai :confined:and have been spreading aquaholism:stirpot: ever since.:D
Hundreds of Students and Several, Several Thousand DSD's and I am still not finished converting people:wink:

I have actually always wanted to dive. I was always in the water, either pool, lake, river, or ocean. I had the change last year in Sao Miguel, Azores to do a "baptism" dive in 20 feet of ocean. I fell in love right away. DM was great and that was the turning point. I made it that I had enough money to sign up for the classes, and just finished those 2 weeks ago, now just waiting for June to do my check out dives.. Cant wait to finally go diving..

On the flip side, I know of two people (separate incidents) who were almost turned off completely by DSD. They did the discover scuba at resorts in the Caribbean and said they were rushed, didn't feel ready, both had issues once they were in the water and said they never wanted to do scuba EVER again.

Scuba diving is often a topic of conversation that comes up with me, that's how I heard these stories. I told both people that I didn't really care for DSD courses and that they should get OW certifications with an instructor that would take his time, teach them, reassure them (i.e. not some resort employee who just cared about when his next break is).

I think Scuba diving is serious stuff and it shouldn't be rushed through or glossed over. It should be taught in depth before people get 30 feet deep.

Just my person opinion.

My wife and I did the Club Med version @ Turks and Caicos one January. Then, we did it again a year later and that experience convinced us of three things: 1) we really liked the experience; 2) we liked it enough to want to dive in a variety of places; 3) getting certified was a lot cheaper than repeating a non-transferable club course.

I have been bitten by the since '07, I even quit playing baseball to dive more !!! I dive in the cold ( 39 deg ), as long as their is water I'm in !!!

My wife got me into a discover scuba in Boracay in the Philippines 2002, to get me out of the way so she could go shopping. I finished the course that week, and later that year I got my AOW locally. I got her in a discover scuba through the LDS, in a pool, and she was hooked. :D

I was totally hooked by DSD. Actually it was very informal. Did 7 DSD's at a small shop in Indonesia $40 for the first one, then then next 6 for $15 each. The DM taught us quite a lot about diving. I'm not even going to mention how deep he took us (we didn't know any better).

But suffice to say when we went for instruction at a very professional shop shortly after-- the instructor scolded us hard (like we knew better?), but then he found we knew most of the skills.

Not sure what a formal DSD involves, but at a minimum I think students should be required to read about basic safety skills :shakehead:!

Glad to have survived my adolescence :D! It was deffinately an informal intro to SCUBA.

Gut feeling is that 25% of the adults I have certified in the last 10 years had done a resort discover scuba.

Back
Top Bottom