How many dives a day???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the thoughts. Now we just need to find someone to supply us with air, etc. :) Thought about trying shore dives in Half Moon Bay... any opinions? I personally like the reefs, maybe I am just new enough not to know better. We dove Dos Ojos in October. It was VERY cool, but I'm partial to fish and I think this trip I would like to be in the ocean. :wink:

I normally like doing one or two, very long dives per day 2-3 hours each.

Our group normally rents the whole boat, thus we can do whatever we wish. As long as the captain agrees before we buy the boat.

AmyJ:
We are headed to the Playa del Carmen area South of Cancun (again) in January. My question is this... We usually only get one day to dive, since we have our little kids with us, so we would like to maximize our bottom time. It seems that most places offer only 3 tank dives a day...

Can't we get more than that? Of course we would use our (conservative) tables and dive only our plan... but for example... last time on the reef we averaged only 40 feet and got about 52 minutes from our tanks. Given that, using our tables and SI, it looks like we could get alot of bottom time, if we can find a place that will allow us to dive that often or give us that many tanks. Is this reasonable or am I just crazy???? What would you suggest??? Thanks!!

4 or 5 dives a day should be do-able. You might want to check out shore diving, or sign up for a 2nd boat that'll take you out for a 2 or 3 tank dive. You should consider two other things: 1) Get a dive computer ... the best way to maximize dive time and 2) Get Nitrox certified: Lets you spend more time at depth and drastically shortens the necessary SI.

Some very good responses have been given on dives per day, however that's not what she asked exactly. She asked about one day, and while she doesn't list her dive experience, I think it's a bit less than experienced.

Ma'am, if your jumping into a one day start & stop adventure, I hope you have all your gear ready and some recent experience of some kind. And I'd suggest forgetting trying to economize with shore dives, but spend the money for the convenience, safety and support of boat dives. Doing 3 or 4 dives with one operator in a day will be a challenge if you're not in good shape, but with his help, it's doable. If you're in good shape, you may even be able to face the children that evening. :11:

I am more familiar with Cozumel than Cancun, but if shore diving at shallow depths is available, check them out. At Cozumel, the shore diving is "unlimited" for a set price usually included in the hotel room cost at the all inclusives like Hotel Cozumel and others. Of course your real limits are the usual nitrogen limitations. However at 25 ftsw, that can be long......

Shore diving is the answer I believe.

On liveaboards I generally do 6 dives a day and some days as many as 9.

I stay conservative and never come close to getting into trouble.

We are not trying to economize with the shore dives, just be close to the water. It seems most dive operations there offer a 1 or 2 tank dive in the am and then a 1 tank dive in the afternoon. We haven't seen any that advertise 4 boat dives in a day.. if so, that would be fine too. That is just not as much bottom time as we'd like. So we are considering shore diving... either on our own, or have talked about hiring a DM for the day just to hang with us and show us the area. I know we will be tired at the end of the day... but that's ok.. as long as we are within our NDL then we should be fine.

DandyDon:
Some very good responses have been given on dives per day, however that's not what she asked exactly. She asked about one day, and while she doesn't list her dive experience, I think it's a bit less than experienced.

Ma'am, if your jumping into a one day start & stop adventure, I hope you have all your gear ready and some recent experience of some kind. And I'd suggest forgetting trying to economize with shore dives, but spend the money for the convenience, safety and support of boat dives. Doing 3 or 4 dives with one operator in a day will be a challenge if you're not in good shape, but with his help, it's doable. If you're in good shape, you may even be able to face the children that evening. :11:

The most I have seen in Cozumel without shore diving is a 2 tank morning dive, a one tank afternoon shallow dive and a one tank night dive. That could be a real challenge depending on your experience and physical shape. Having fun and staying safe are the keys. Not in that order.....

I have done 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon in Cozumel. A big operator can accomdate you.

Shore dives a more exhausting you know.

Have a great trip!!

Pureto Aventuras

The Mayan Rivira area IS NOT a great diver orintated place so most of the dive operators really aren't that great -

These guys are the best they can set you up to do ANYTHING you want from Cenotas to caves to 15 dives a day if you want - they will take you to Cozumel and let you dive there if you want.

You can go down there blind and try to work something out with the other guys that are just trying to grab some cash from doing "Resort Courses" and party crowd that thinks just cause they were underwater breathing air it was way cool - or you can jump in a cab and use a real pro.

He it's your vacation...
Hope you have a great time.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom