How many dives per week (total) on liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

made4water

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i was wondering how many dives people generally get in (total) on a liveaboard during a typical week. Are certain boats known for averaging more dives per week? if so which ones?

i was wondering how many dives people generally get in (total) on a liveaboard during a typical week. Are certain boats known for averaging more dives per week? if so which ones?

Best I ever managed was 28 dives (on air) in 6 days of diving on the Thorfinn in Truk. I skipped 2 of the 6 night dives.

Rickg

but very generally speaking you should be able to get up to 5 dives on most days. To really get the right answer you need to ask the liveaboard operation what are the normal number of dives for each day of the itinerary you are interested in as each itinerary may be different due to travel time, typical conditions, etc. Many times you will not the full number of dives on the first and last days of the trip and on days where you go ashore for excursions, you may have fewer opportunities to dive.

The key questions to ask are these: What are the usual number of dives available to me each day for this itinerary? What are the usual number of dives available to me for the week (or other time period - 3 days, 10 days, etc) on this itinerary? Are there opportunities to do dawn dives at any time during the trip? Are any shore excursions optional with the opportunity to dive instead? Once you ask those questions, you will have an accurate idea of what to expect. By the same token, you need to realize that due to weather conditions, diving conditions and other things that may be beyond the control of the Captain, each trip will be different and you may not get all of the expected dives in. I personally would rather have 3 dives at fantastic dive sites than 5 dives at mediocre dive sites so I'm never upset if the Captain moves us to go to a better site. That movement, however, can reduce the number of opportunities to dive for that day. The Captain has no way of knowing in advance if the diving conditions are favorable at the location that is on the schedule to dive until the boat gets there and sometimes until a divemaster goes in to tie into the mooring. It's important to remain flexible and trust your Captain in selecting the best dive sites for the trip.

Hope This Helps
Happy Diving!
Pam

Also depends on when you are flying out. Early on the last day limits dives the previous day.

Also depends on what the group wants

And how many diving days the operator offers. Many liveaboards only offer Friday morning diving, returning to the docks Friday afternoon for a Saturday disembarkation. One reason we choose the Nekton boats is because they offer a full day, including a night dive, on Fridays. That's 6 full days of diving, not 5 1/2.

On our last trip we averaged 24 dives per week (we did a 2 week back-to-back) since we only did a few night dives.

On Nekton they try to get you five dives per day. But that means everything must go perfect. Issues are weather, seas, currents, storms etc. I NEVER push myself and try to just put numbers in my log book. Being a SAFE diver should always come first! Remember you are doing multiple dives over many days. Everyone’s body reacts differently to this type of diving. If you get tired skip the next dive and hit the bed for some rest. Live aboard diving is about the quality of dives not the quantity. Also, make sure you socialize and met your fellow divers. :14:

I usually do 3 or 4 dives a day.. the best so far was my first trip to truk on the Thorfinn..
I did every dive available.. I was there for 10 days of diving.. did 46 dives.. 2 days there were no night dives (saturdays don;t have night dives on the thorfinn), and the day of arrival I was only there for 3 dives..

On my Nekton Belize trip 4 weeks ago did 30 of the possible 31 dives. Did not do the night dive on the last day, but on one day mid week I did a dawn dive along with the typical 5. I go on a trip like this to dive and will typically do as much as offered as long as my body holds up.

Made the mistake a few years ago on a trip to Coz with my LDS to set up a little bet to see who could do the most dives. By the end of the week 3 of us were tied with the most dives, we were all hurting but our ego would not let us sit a dive out. Not good will never make that bet again!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom