• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foxfish, you say you are trying to gauge diver's ability to assess risk? well you seem to be expecting that we all agree that swimming with sharks is a high risk endeavor. Dude, got news for you: we don't. Yes in Western Australia there have been a few shark related deaths, but you failing to connect the dots on this.
A) Divers aren't the ones dying, most great white deaths occur to surfers, who, when viewed from below, appear to have the profile of the White's primary food, seal and sea lion. Whites attack from below, take a bite and let the seal bleed out and then finish them off once they are dead from blood loss.
B) Sharks are seldom finishing their meals. I have never heard of a shark leaving half a seal laying around, but I most shark attack victims are recovered intact (although not necessarily alive). That would indicate that once they have bitten into the Surfer/surf board combo, they realize they are biting into the wrong food and leave it at that.
C) Most of the divers here do not live in Western Australia. Being a yank, I seldom have the opportunity to see a big shark amble by in a random encounter, so I might not look at the likelihood of being killed as being very high. If you don't want my opinion, don't ask for it. If you think I am being stupid with my life, not crapping my suit at the very thought of a great white, again think it to yourself, don't bitch about it to me (I am an idiot, remember?)
D) I obviously know nothing about the subject because, hey, I grew up on the water, have a degree in Zoology, spent 12 years as a science educator and have been a certified SCUBA diver for over 30 years, my opinion pales like the new moon next to your enlightened brilliance...

Do I want to die diving? Not really, but you are assuming that the base standard for risk assessment is that diving with sharks is inherently dangerous. Would I sh*t a brick if a Great white swam at me out of the blue? Most likely, but on reflection, that is my problem, not the sharks. A shark has infinitely better senses than I do underwater. He can sense the magnetic fields created by my metal dive gear. He can taste the urea in my perspiration and the hundred chemicals leaching off my body and out of gear as he goes by. he can see me through eyes that are more sensitive than my with a much larger range of view. He can swim 10x faster and I pose virtually no threat to him underwater.

Could he kill me? Absolutely. But, is he LIKELY to kill me?
No

I most likely am not going to be perceived as a prey item, but I might warrant an investigation.

Lastly, in one or two posts, you intimated that you are some sort of government type that has some sort of responsibility for the response to shark attacks ( I seriously doubt this, otherwise your overtly biased and leading poll would be better constructed). I think in that case it just goes to show that the USA doesn't have a complete monopoly of ignorant politicians. My guess is you are just a troll (spelt with a small "t")

PS: The animal that really does scare the Sh*t out of me is the box jellyfish.

I only worry about sharks if

1) they are the ones that normally try to eat humans

and

2) they try to eat me.

Others, I do not worry about it.

Foxfish, you say you are trying to gauge diver's ability to assess risk? well you seem to be expecting that we all agree that swimming with sharks is a high risk endeavor. Dude, got news for you: we don't. Yes in Western Australia there have been a few shark related deaths, but you failing to connect the dots on this.

You, like many others on the thread have missed the point. In simple terms I've asked, 'How much risk of a fatal shark attack are you prepared to accept as a diver'. The most common response has been that divers 'don't care' ie. they would dive an area even if a fatal shark attack was inevitable.

Like Rodney Fox, I call this madness.

You, like many others on the thread have missed the point. In simple terms I've asked, 'How much risk of a fatal shark attack are you prepared to accept as a diver'. The most common response has been that divers 'don't care' ie. they would dive an area even if a fatal shark attack was inevitable.

Foxfish, in simple terms many people on this thread have asked you why are you are so concerned about such a minor risk. I've tried several times to draw you out and discuss the issue on a different level, and yet you decline to acknowledge this, let alone respond to it.

Do you understand that people say, "I don't care" because the risk is negligible? I understand that you are afraid of sharks (and I don't mean this in a cynical or provocative way) but the fact is that *most* people are not, nor is there any reason to be...

R..

The following is taken from the Wikipedia page on Rodney Fox, who is the survivor of the worst shark bite ever recieved by anyone who lived to tell the tale. Rodney was bitten 50+ years ago. It should also be noted that he was spearfishingt at the time:

"Rodney's life since the attack has involved consulting and coordinating film crews and arranging and guiding ecotourism adventure trips and expeditions specializing in great white sharks and other marine creatures. He also travels the world giving talks to people about his experiences with sharks and the need for conservation efforts to continue.Rodney's talks and films on the Great White Shark have educated swimmers and divers to the realistic potential of shark attack. He delivers a firm message that "sharks are not all that bad, we have very few confrontations with them and we should look after all our fishes especially the Great White". He positions the Great White as an important "keystone predator" directly controlling the diversity and abundance of other species in the great web of life.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2014 at 03:47 AM ----------

Please especially note his own words:
"sharks are not all that bad, we have very few confrontations with them and we should look after all our fishes especially the Great White"

" . . .we have very few confrontations with them . . ."

Foxfish, why should we feel differently than does this man?

You'd best just stay out of the ocean and leave the rest of us to our fate.

Foxfish, in simple terms many people on this thread have asked you why are you are so concerned about such a minor risk. I've tried several times to draw you out and discuss the issue on a different level, and yet you decline to acknowledge this, let alone respond to it.

Do you understand that people say, "I don't care" because the risk is negligible? I understand that you are afraid of sharks (and I don't mean this in a cynical or provocative way) but the fact is that *most* people are not, nor is there any reason to be...

R..

As pointed out several times I intentionally avoided discussing my views on an acceptable level of risk here except to provide several data points for people's consideration. On extreme is where the risk of a fatal attack is almost inevitable. The other is where the risk is almost zero. I've noted that five fatal attacks in a 12 month period seems to be the upper limit that is typically tolerated by communities.

Your explanation of 'I don't care' is an equivocation of the actual intended meaning in this context. I discussed this at length in a past post soon after the option was added. The context is set by the previous posts and by the poll itself.

I truely dont give a rats ass about how many shark attacks on humans happen at any given area in any given ammount of time.
The only thing that matter is the CIRCUMSTANCES of those attacks...

:shark:
As pointed out several times I intentionally avoided discussing my views on an acceptable level of risk here except to provide several data points for people's consideration. On extreme is where the risk of a fatal attack is almost inevitable. The other is where the risk is almost zero. I've noted that five fatal attacks in a 12 month period seems to be the upper limit that is typically tolerated by communities.

Your explanation of 'I don't care' is an equivocation of the actual intended meaning in this context. I discussed this at length in a past post soon after the option was added. The context is set by the previous posts and by the poll itself.

Data? What data points? You are calling an UNREALISTIC HYPOTHETICAL "data." An example of data would be to say that there is a beach here in Australia where the sharks are so thick you can walk across the bay on their snouts. They Kill 417 people a year (7 days a week and twice on Sunday). Saying sharks will kill 5 people a year off a given beach is like say they can tie their shoes...

Worrying about a random shark attack for most divers is like worrying about Grandma getting run over by a reindeer. I think I would be really excited to see the reindeer running down the street, but I don't think, I would worry about Grandma particularly.

Who taught you what data is? Fox News? (I'll make the vague assumption that an Australian would know who Rupert Murdoch and Fox News are)

Just a reminder to anyone who is letting Foxfish (hmmm interesting name, never noticed that....) cause you stress, he is never going to budge and we are actually encouraging him to keep this thread alive. Really we shouldn't be feeding the trolls....
:shark:

And Foxfish, you seem frustrated that no one is following the spirit of the original intention of what you wanted to discuss on this thread.....
:hijack:
Welcome to SB....

About those reindeer.. Never seen them run anyone over, but they do tend to come down towards where I live during cold winters :p

Back
Top Bottom