• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As pointed out several times I intentionally avoided discussing my views on an acceptable level of risk here except to provide several data points for people's consideration. On extreme is where the risk of a fatal attack is almost inevitable. The other is where the risk is almost zero. I've noted that five fatal attacks in a 12 month period seems to be the upper limit that is typically tolerated by communities.

Can you cite these cases, please? I was only able to Google 4 fatal attacks against scuba divers in your area in the last 25 years, one which may have been postmortem scavenging and one of which involved abalone fishing, which is not a normal diving activity.

In that sense, one unprovoked attack (on average) every 12 years makes diving in Perth a LOT safer than most other sporting activities.

Would you not agree?

Your explanation of 'I don't care' is an equivocation of the actual intended meaning in this context. I discussed this at length in a past post soon after the option was added. The context is set by the previous posts and by the poll itself.

I understand that you crafted the post in order to give the result you wanted. I think that's pretty clear. However, the result you wanted is not the result that would be supported by the majority of divers. Does this not make you question the validity of your poll?

R..

In simple terms I've asked, 'How much risk of a fatal shark attack are you prepared to accept as a diver'.
This is a loaded question on various levels. You might as well ask how many fatal purple pumpkin eater attacks are you prepared to accept as a diver? It's like asking someone "When did you stop beating your dog?" and then taking them to task for giving an answer other than a date. How many fatal safes dropping on people's head will it take you to stop going into the city? How many fatal blue birds of happiness flying up your nose will keep you from watching TV? Shark attacks, for all intents and purposes are not a risk factor when I go diving unless I am hunting. In fact, I wantto dive where I can see lots of sharks because brainless idiots, often citing such nonsense, have fished them to the point of near extinction.

I remember diving off of Ponce Inlet and being followed by a school of Spinner Sharks. There must have been thousands and most were in the two to three foot range. This was just after I saw Jaws, and frankly, I let my atavistic fear get the better of me. Not only did I hear the music, I think I may have walked on water getting out of the beach. I'm embarrassed by that now and would love to see such a school of them again.

Have a look at the videos below. Of those who claim that they 'don't care' about the risk of a fatal shark attack and would dive regardless, how many would enter the water without the cage or any protection?

For those who can't be bothered watching the videos they show people cage diving with white pointers and the sharks attacking the cages.

Cage Diving with a Great White Shark goes wrong ! - YouTube

Cage Diving with a Great White Shark goes wrong ! - YouTube

Caught on Tape: Newlyweds' Terrifying Close Encounter With Shark - YouTube

Great White Shark chomping on my cage off Guadalupe Mexico - YouTube

I've taken a hiatus from the last couple pages of this thread, but I'd just like to help the OP out with the above list of "evidence" (post #111) that great whites are bloodthirsty maneaters. In the search for accuracy, I suggest everyone also view the scientifically accurate film referenced below ...

Jaws Trailer 1975 - YouTube

/s

I understand that you crafted the post in order to give the result you wanted. I think that's pretty clear.
I think it's pretty funny that the original questions have garnered only two additional votes since the poll was edited. That the last two additions have garnered 84 responses in the same time period prove just how flawed the original poll was.

CT-Rich, i had a posted deleted from much earlier in this thread along with being advised of same and chastised for saying what you said in the last line of your second last paragraph. :)

Do carry on! :D

This is a loaded question on various levels. You might as well ask how many fatal purple pumpkin eater attacks are you prepared to accept as a diver?
Ok being somewhat new to diving , I have to ask. How does one identify a Purple Pumpkin Eater ? :confused:

Do you understand that the vast majority of divers do not see an elevated risk due to sharks?

R..

Yes I agree with that. But then given that most divers on the poll have indicated they would dive with no care or regard for the level of risk of a fatal shark attack it comes as no surprise.

I've noted that five fatal attacks in a 12 month period seems to be the upper limit that is typically tolerated by communities.

Like Hell! You do not speak for the community in its entirety you are speaking to hear what you want. You certainly do not represent me, my diving, fishing, sailing, surfing, beach going friends including those who have lost brothers to sharks in Australian waters. Do NOT purport to represent the thinking of anyone else let alone everyone else. What you have ''noted'' is nothing more than your opinion.

Yes I agree with that. But then given that most divers on the poll have indicated they would dive with no care or regard for the level of risk of a fatal shark attack it comes as no surprise.
No, because you JUST DONT ****ING PAY ATTENTION! So you haven't understood a damn word of what peoples been saying.
We DO NOT ignore the risk of shark attacks or anything else, WE ASSESS IT IN A RATIONAL WAY. In other words, we look at the circumstances of the attacks and WHOS BEEN ATTACKED and by looking at those things you see that the VERY, VERY, VERY VAST MAJORITY OF SHARK ATTACKS IS NOT ON DIVERS!
Then do the math of how many hours are spent in the water by the groups who DO get attacked (surfers, snorklers, swimmers etc) per shark attack and it just becomes obviously clear that Im more likely to get killed on my 3 minute walk to work than by a shark attack.

We don't want to die, we just don't want irrational fears dictate our activity.

And with that, I make my lifethreatening journey to work, with no regard for my own well being...

Back
Top Bottom