How many of you don't use a "standard" octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgangi

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been certified for almost 8 years, and in those 8 years I have always used a "standard" octo as part of my dive setup. Ditto with the wife. Thankfully neither of us have ever had the need to use the octo yet.

During our last dive trip in January, out of curiosity I figured I would try breathing off the octo just to see what it was like. OMG...at 80', I could hardly breathe off the thing. It was at least 3x the effort (or more) of the Delta second stage. It hung a little weird in my mouth, tasted awful, and blew bubbles all over my face (Oceanic Slimline octo). Overall it was a horrible experience. I couldn't imagine having to use that thing in an emergency situation.

Since then I've purchased 2 new 1st/2nd stages (Delta 4's) and converted my old Delta 3 second stages to an octopus. Now I feel a whole lot more secure knowing that if either the wife or I need to use the backup reg, it's going to perform.

How many of you have done the same?

The tech at the dive shop who swapped out my regs told me that the use of "traditional" octo's are common in the USA and that in other countries they don't use them; divers typically buy 2 of the same second stages -- one for primary and one for the octo. Is this true?

Thx...Doug

I don't know if it is generally true, but both of my backup regs are the same make as my primaries. But then, I donate the primary, so that backup reg is what I get to breathe!

I don't know if it is generally true, but both of my backup regs are the same make as my primaries. But then, I donate the primary, so that backup reg is what I get to breathe!

That's about what I do as well. Both my primary and backup are identical. Both G250's.

Way I figure it...I like and feel comfortable breathing off my primary. I donate the primary. When I have to donate, it's probably going to be a stressing situation. So I want to be sure when I have to go to that backup it will be giving me the same performance as my primary. Reckon that's peace of mind...whatever you call it, I feel comfortable!

That's about what I do as well. Both my primary and backup are identical. Both G250's.

Way I figure it...I like and feel comfortable breathing off my primary. I donate the primary. When I have to donate, it's probably going to be a stressing situation. So I want to be sure when I have to go to that backup it will be giving me the same performance as my primary. Reckon that's peace of mind...whatever you call it, I feel comfortable!
That also works both ways .. if you donate your 'octo" it would be good if it breathed well as the person that needs it will appreciate that :)

I just purchased another Mk18/G250 to use as a backup reg, not going to use the R190 I got before for that purpose, just for the reasons mentioned

That also works both ways .. if you donate your 'octo" it would be good if it breathed well as the person that needs it will appreciate that :)

I just purchased another Mk18/G250 to use as a backup reg, not going to use the R190 I got before for that purpose, just for the reasons mentioned

You're absolutly correct!

I didnt think about that, but with them wanting air a nice regulator that is super easy to breath from would be a hell of a lot more relief and more calming than being handed a reg they have to struggle to get air out of.

Remember two are breathing so a good first stage makes it for you to breath, the way ya stated your experience was tase and i would believe you have'nt maintained as well.

There are cheap octos, may be yours is one, more than likely when the same octo matches the second stage it will be a good one,

When tank is low and two breathing on it is harder to breathe.

The eight year hose attached to octo has not had air cirriculated through it, from no use, new hose ,rebuild, might all it be.

Happy diving

The only difference between my primary & secondary is the color of the plate. Both Atomic Z1's. However, I don't think that is necessary as long as they both breathe well and you try them on a regular basis. I usually try my secondary for a few minutes every 5th dive or so.
I used to use a Tusa Duo-Air thats sits on the BC inflator. I never removed it when I got the 2 Z1's so I test that regularly as well. It wasn't ideal, but breathed fine at the depths I usually dive.

My backup gets breathed each and every dive.

And since it's identical to my primary, oftentimes they get switched around when I clean gear after a weekend of diving. One weekend my primary is my primary, next week my backup winds up on my primary hose...I reckon the wear on them is somewhat even. Then they get serviced together.

Good for you,you test your 2nd reg every dive,BUT what are you testing?
Do YOU just switch regs,or do you let someone other use the octo.
There is a BIG differance.
Problem with 1st stages is that the "cheaper"ones just don't have enough flow to dilliver the air needed to for TWO divers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Aqua Lung sets I just bought, one top line Legend for my wife and a lowly Titan LX for me both came with free IDENTCAL octos on 39 inch yellow hoses. The octos breath and perform exactly the same except they have the yellow cover plate instead of the black one. I bought the black cover plate for mine but have not installed it yet.

My observations in the real world:

1) About 80% of divers use a standard octopus set up
2) About 10% use an Air Too or combined octo/power inflator
3) Less than 5% use a long hose tech style arrangement
4) About 5% don't use an octo because they are solo or carry a Spare Air/pony/buddy bottle type system.

N

Nemrod,
I know that you know that there is nothing "lowly" about a Titan LX. I own two Titan LX's, a regular Titan, a Zeagle, and an Apeks. Because of the number of dives I do (150-200 a year), and the depth (these days I limit myself to 150', and very seldom go that deep) I could probably justify the purchase of any regulator made. I have tried all the "big guns" (Legend, Scubapro, etc) and I see no reason to progress beyond the Titan LX, which I use on about 90% of my dives.

Oh, I use only standard octos. Most of the "low profile" octos are fine, as long as one does not actually have to use them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom