How many People are using the new GoPro Dive Housing and were are you mounting it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Cwalina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
was wondering were the best place to mount the gopro to yourself is when you are diving? Also how many of you guys and girls use red filters with them and if so what brand do you use?
Thanks

I was using some 3/4" PVC bent and flattened for a "tray." I gave it to a friend in USVI, and haven't had a chance to make a new one. I find it makes it easier to hold stable. I just got the Backscatter flip-up filter, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Everywhere I have been diving is nice green water.

Depends on what you want to achieve
If you want to use it as action camera head, pole cheap PVC mounts work
If you intend to actually watch your footage for more than 30 seconds without throwing up the answer is a proper tray with two rubberised handles
Either ultralight or SRP are good options
Filters are well worth it for blue water for fresh water and cold salt water results are suboptimal

I mount mine on the front of my side mount helmet.

No filters.

I have been using the GoPro dive housing and the head strap just above my mask. It's never felt perfectly stable there and a minor distraction at the surface, where I feel I'm most likely to lose it.

I'm almost ready to flat-mount it to the top of my mask, just haven't fiddled with it so far.

SeaLife camera tray with a video light. It is my favourite so far. I have also used the GoPole "Grenade" handle and a GoPro wristmount. They have their uses but the tray and the video light have given me the best results.

Using a head strap, hands are free, camera is out of my way, and it captures whatever my eyes capture during the dive so that's all neat and dandy. The drawbacks are that I tend to look around quite a bit and the thing with videoing is to keep the camera still, so it can get a bit busy sometimes. Bubbles are rarely an issue. My next project is to try attach the Hero2 to the top of my BCD inflator and see if that pans out successfully. A tube clamp should do the trick I reckon.

Here are a few of them I used when testing out a some filter options on a couple SRP trays :D I will post some side by side videos soon.

img20120913063047y.jpg

I prefer to use the tray for all handheld use but still like the odd headband shot, I have experimented with a few other mounts including a regulator mount I made a while back but haven't used yet. I will try and use some gopro adjusted arms to extend it out infront of and ahead of the regulator without being in the way as the pic below will be in my line of sight, this could also be positioned under the regulator but Im looking more for a user POV with this mount without limiting vision too badly.

Back
Top Bottom