How many sessions did you take to pass OW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We started on Sept 7th (signed up back in August, limited class availablility due to an influx of new students who signed up for half price..we paid full). Had three 3+ hour class sessions. Still have one more to go to review compass and knowledge reviews. Tried to do the pool session this past Saturday. Instructor preferred we not use wetsuits but we brought our shorty wet suits any way. Air temp was 60 degrees, water probably low 70s, strong wind at 10mph+. Once we got to the shop he gave other students full suits and told us to use our shorties since we brought them. Got to the pool (small, OUTDOOR hotel pool, extremely cloudy, 5 feet deep) and had to get in w/o wetsuits to do the swim tests. There were 5 people in a tiny pool trying to do laps, no mask or snorkle allowed. I kept swallowing water from the wake of the people beside me and i was freezing. Then treaded water for 10 minutes. Then put on dry wetsuits over wet skin. Not fun. Wetsuit zippper broke so I was exposed more than anyone. Donned all equipment in water. My primary reg felt like it was stuck. It took ALOT of effort to get air. Instructor said use the octo. Cheesy reg that released bubbles right in front of my face. Once in the water we immediately started with the mask clearing skills. By this time 3 of us were shaking uncontrollably. Four out of five people quit. We went back to the shop. Owner said the next pool session was also outdoors and that he wouldn't be indoors until November. We're leaving for vacation October 20th so won't be certified and unable to dive. The check out dives are in local quarries or lakes yet he doesn't rent booties, gloves or hoods. I am not buying those as I will never use them. I DON'T WANT TO DIVE IN COLD WATER! We're debating quitting the whole thing and losing $600 because we think the program is poorly run, unorganized, owner is condescending and puts down any equipment that is not top of the line. We're not required to have wetsuits but he looked at my shorty (sea elite, I know basic but I only use it for snorkeling) and said it would not be up to par for his program. We only have 4 months to complete certification (SDI) from what he said and now it's getting to be winter here so I don't know what we will do. We can finish the class, take the test and complete the pool session then get a referral somewhere warm for the cert dives but of course that will be more money. I get the impression from the shop owner that the words "partial refund" are not in his vocabulary. We are still goingn to ask. He has pissed off everyone in our class with his attitude. He comes across as a very nice guy but some of the things he says are out of line. Classes were unorganized with much unnecessary personal stories, videos, interruptions.

We definitely picked the wrong shop.

I honestly do not remember the exact number of pool sessions, but we did do a few extra to be sure we were comfortable. I think the right answer in in the statement above - however many it takes. The journey should be to get comfortable in the water with all of the exercise. I have used almost all of what I have learned except for breathing from a free flowing reg.

Holy goshmoly! I would love to find clients with as much free time to devote to a new sport like this!

I was a fit (and still am reasonably fit), good swimmer who had done lots of snorkling before and I also have done lots of skiing, snowboarding, windsurfing, MMA and other activities that have given me fairly good control over my body in addition to having had fairly "stressful" jobs, amongst other things live operations in the army, wich all contributed to me being comfortable in the water and fairly hard to stress out.

I did the classroom work in the evenings for about a week and had 1 day scheduled for the poolwork and 2 days for the ow dives.

All "Pool" Sessions were off the Beach, we went to 6m (20ft.) max., except for the first when there was surge & poor viz. The open water sessions wre backrolls of a RIB. Instruction was 1-1 because shop had no other OW students at the time. Previously I had snorkelled & done a DSD with the same shop (in Tenerife). I think I got "wet" 8 times in total.

I did all of my book work online which took about 6 hours in front of the computer.... then about 4 hours in the pool one day and did two ow drift dives one day and two more the following day.

I felt that I didn't get nearly enough time. Just the basic requirements to pass and get a c-card. I unfortunately got hooked up with the wrong instructors. Believe it or not I have specialized in drift diving and all I had to do was drift down the Rainbow River in Florida 2 times and carry a line. Oh and pay PADI but the class fee was discounted. :) Now I am a specialized drift diver because I have a c-card that says so! I'll be honest I don't know crap about drift diving other than what I read in the book. :) The book was more helpful than the instructor.

5 days totaly if I do not remember wrong.
1 day theory only
1 day half theory + 2 confined water dives, confined dives in the shallows just of the beach.
1 day half theory +2 more confined water dives
2 last days was a little theory and 2 OW dives a day. All dives from boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom