How Much Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derffie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still a relatively new diver with about 40 dives per date. On most trips, even though I feel pretty relaxed, I go through air faster than most of the other folks on the dive. As per directions, I let the dive master know that I'm at 1500 psi. Looking at my log, I'm finishing dives at times with only 250 psi. All of this makes me uneasy. Any suggestions?

Not knowing the specifics of your dive, its hard to know if 250 psi is ok or not. If you are diving a wreck at 90 feet, then yes, that is not enough. If you are in a 20 foot reef, then it might be ok. There is a reason it is recommended you surface with 500 psi. Stuff happens and you need air to deal with it.

Keep in mind that as a certified diver, YOU are responsible for your safety. Not the dive master, not your buddy. If you are surfacing with only 250 psi, then you should begin your ascent sooner. If that means leaving the group, then so be it.

As far as lowering your consumption, go back to basics. Proper trim. Streamline your gear. SLOW down. Relax. Enjoy. I've no doubt that others will chime in with more suggestion.

Given more dives your sac rating will improve. You need to start monitoring your SPG/air a little better and even if you have to leave the group you should surface with at least 500 psi, it's a good habit to have.

You use what you use. No need to compare with other. No need to purpose try to breath less or anything like that. Like Reku said, dive more and sac will improve.

If that means leaving the group, then so be it.

Yeah, no. At least not by himself. Pretty sure you meant "with your buddy" in there, but I'll just add it to make it clear...

Derffie, breathing on scuba is a little different than breathing normally. Practice long, slow inhales and long, slow exhales. I start my students on this idea right away; I tell them 3 to 4 seconds for inhale and they should try for 30 second exhales. It takes practice, but your brain will adapt quickly and soon you'll be doing it instinctively.

Also, air consumption is directly related to how "busy" your brain is. The more your brain is working, the faster it will demand air. This is why divers, especially new divers, with cameras go through their air faster. The more you dive, the more comfortable your brain will get, and the better your air consumption will get.

If your air consumption hasn't improved by your 80th dive, it could indicate you're more anxious while diving than you should be at that stage. If this is the case, you should consider why this would be so. Additional training beyond the basic OW class can usually build confidence and help alleviate anxiety.

Derffie, breathing on scuba is a little different than breathing normally. Practice long, slow inhales and long, slow exhales. I start my students on this idea right away; I tell them 3 to 4 seconds for inhale and they should try for 30 second exhales. It takes practice, but your brain will adapt quickly and soon you'll be doing it instinctively.

Also, air consumption is directly related to how "busy" your brain is. The more your brain is working, the faster it will demand air. This is why divers, especially new divers, with cameras go through their air faster. The more you dive, the more comfortable your brain will get, and the better your air consumption will get.

If your air consumption hasn't improved by your 80th dive, it could indicate you're more anxious while diving than you should be at that stage. If this is the case, you should consider why this would be so. Additional training beyond the basic OW class can usually build confidence and help alleviate anxiety.

30 second exhales? Less than 2 breaths per minute? Air consumption related to busy brain?

Have another diver shoot video of you. I'm sure you will see that you are using your hands to swim (sculling) and constantly moving. That requires a lot of air and also indicates you are still overweighted as most new divers are. Carrying around extra weight will consume a lot of air. It takes a lot of dives, but once you stop moving and get rid of lead your SAC rate will decrease.
There's an old saying that divers think they know it all by the time they get to 100 dives. At 500 dives they are amazed at how little they knew. At 1000 dives they realize they knew nothing at 500. A good diver is always learning.

All good advice. Once you iron out basic diving problems and get more experience your rate will improve. There is a big difference between 1500 and 250 PSI now. Also as stated, once you're "up to speed" diving there probably is little you can do to improve your rate. it is what it is IMO. Some people just use air faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom