How much BC lift do I require?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ralph, you forget to add her "intrinsic" buoyancy which, from her own description, is about 16 pounds(20 lbs less 4 lbs tank buoyancy). As has been discussed, this number is high and needs to be confirmed in a pool...+3% of course.

I’m not going to WEIGH in with more math but with the advice my LDS gave me when I bought my BC. They offered a package to the students and I got the Oceanic Baja Alpha. It’s a decent BC that’s easy to travel with. When I buy my new BC this year the Baja will be permanently relegated to my travel BC only.

Ty

devjr,

I'm only considering the buoyancy of the rig when off the diver. DivingDoc will be floating like a cork with no weights.

Depending on the BC some might choose to remove and replace the weights on each dive, but this doesn't work well with all systems. If you forget to remove the weights, fully inflate, or the rig falls in the water (easy to do on some small boats) it's headed for the bottom.

Ralph

Very well, I reread it. I guess the concept of throwing a diving set into the water without a tether is alien to me. If nothing else, the current will sweep it away.

Hi, folks

I’m a new diver, got my OWD certification last fall, then went for a week to Florida, was going to get AOWD, but trip was cut short by hurricane Michele. It chased us away from the Keys.

Anyway, I like the idea of having separate sets of wings for different applications. So I’m considering buying Travel Wings (30# lift). They are easy to pack and are suitable for warm water single tank diving. And later down the road I’ll get another set, suitable for doubles.

The question:
Is 30# lift also adequate for diving in colder water, about 60 F, wearing a 7-mil wetsuit (my local diving conditions)? I’m 6’0”, 180lbs.

Thanks.
:confused:

I would think so, if you're diving with a single 80. I estimate that my 7mm full suit has about 15# of buoyancy at the surface (salt water), and an 80 cu ft tank has about 6# of swing. That's 21# of lift that your wing needs to provide at a minimum. Even if the Travel wing's specs are off by 10% (which I've heard is common on some wings), you should still be fine; but just barely. At least, that's the way I understand things. Curious what others think.

sumguy--
Thanks for the input. Basing on your opinion and couple others I did get Travel Wings. Dove them last weekend.
AL80, 7 mil jumpsuit, fresh water, up to 65 feet deep... wings held great :)

Will the Halcyon 27# wing provide enuff lift at the surface diving a 120 steel tank and a 7mm wet suit?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom