How much difference is there between DH regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The RAM is noticeably better breather and easier to tune. That said, a good DA, set up carefully is a fine regulator and with all of the new parts at an outstanding cost to performance ratio.

I have just scored a NOS heavy yoke, round label RAM, never wet! It still has the original duck bill installed and it is soft! Some shelf wear on the label etc. I hooked it up and it breaths like a charm. It even has the clear cages with silicone NOS valves, soft as the day they were made and un-perished NOS neoprene hoses and mouthpiece. I don't know if I can justify keeping this baby as I have a growing fleet and my recent desire to defeat soundly a co-worker (half my age) in a bike race has me dumping money into all of my old bicycles at a prodigious rate. The TDF has nothing on this grudge match, Jimmy and the Pinarello vs the largest bike club in town! Oh, what to do, what to do, she loves me, she loves me not.

N

Let me know if you decide to sell it.

If you will just be putting around in the shallows, I doubt you would detect any appreciable difference between a well-tuned DAAM and a RAM. The RAM really comes into its own when used under heavy load and/or at depth.

If you will just be putting around in the shallows, I doubt you would detect any appreciable difference between a well-tuned DAAM and a RAM. The RAM really comes into its own when used under heavy load and/or at depth.

I disagree with this, and that's after direct comparison specifically to compare a RAM and DA nozzle on consecutive dives in all of 15 feet of water at the local spring. To me there's a big difference in flow. DAs can be tuned so that the cracking effort is nice and low at low tank pressures, but the more stable IP and especially quicker IP recovery of the RAM nozzle is really noticeable to me at any depth. It's a flow issue.

So I bought Mattboy's RAM and am soon to be a vintage equipment diver. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

I figure I'll start out learning the ins and outs of the RAM first with my modern equipment and a pony as backup and once I have a feel for it and some confidence in it I'll drop the rest of the training wheels.

I've already got a couple of LP72's, J-valves, a backpack and a vintage mask, so it should be more a matter of learning than buying equipment.

You can use an H-valve with a DH like this

Hvalvefrontside.jpg

This is my PRAM, but you have clearance to use a standard DH or flip the secondary valve to the back like this (but shutting down the valve is difficult).

HValvereversed.jpg

So I bought Mattboy's RAM and am soon to be a vintage equipment diver. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

I figure I'll start out learning the ins and outs of the RAM first with my modern equipment and a pony as backup and once I have a feel for it and some confidence in it I'll drop the rest of the training wheels.

I've already got a couple of LP72's, J-valves, a backpack and a vintage mask, so it should be more a matter of learning than buying equipment.

Don't know what BC you have but most modern BCs do not play well with DH regs. A DH reg needs to be low on your back, top of the cans about the base of your neck and it must be kept close to the body. Most BCs will not let you put the tank that low and jacket style BCs fit too loose. They tend to float away from the body, taking the tank and reg with it, very bad form with a DH reg. BP/wings do OK if your adjust them so the tank will ride low and you remove any STAs that keep the tank/reg lifted off your body.

I'll be using it with a BPW with no STA for the time being.

I gave trying to use a traditional bent backplate, it will run into the cans limiting the tank position to high and as well the plate tends to sit much to high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom