How much do you reveal to your buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
If you are diving with a new buddy, how much of your medical history do you reveal?

For instance, if you have a history of (and maybe take medication for) a condition such as, but not necessarily limited to, diabetes, epilepsy or asthma, do you make a new buddy aware of it before you dive with him/her?

Does how much you reveal make a difference if it's a "recreational limits" dive vs a "technical" dive?

On the other side of the fence - if you are the new buddy who is informed of the condition, does it influence whether you will dive with this person? If not, does it influence the "agressiveness" of the dive?

It's a good idea to know your buddy & their general health..period.

I would expect a buddy to reveal to me anything about their medical status that might become at issue during the time that we are together.

Exactly where that line is depends on the type of dive. What I think you should tell me for a warm-water, 30' reef dive off the Keys is entirely different than what I think you should tell me if we're about to jump in for a technical penetration dive on a ship in 140' of water, with an expected deco obligation of a half-hour or so.

Ultimately, if you DON'T tell me, and there is a problem, I might be impaired in my ability to assist you by that lack of knowledge. In the end its your butt - if you want to keep secrets, I can't do anything about it, but you are putting only yourself at risk by doing so.

I think Genesis just summed it all up. This is where developing good, lasting relationships come in. You just can't beat having a long-term dive buddy. However I understand that this is not always the situation, as I think that Snowbear was eluding to. Tell them just enough.

Jambi

Genesis:
In the end its your butt - if you want to keep secrets, I can't do anything about it, but you are putting only yourself at risk by doing so.

A dive Team that plans, rehearses, and then executes a complicated penetration must function as a Team for the Team to survive. If, deep inside the penetration, one member suddenly goes into convulsions (from some medical or pharmacological malady) it is an issue for the entire Team, not merely the convulsing diver. In the gravest extreme, such an event may put the lives of the entire Team at risk - depending on the circumstances. Think silt-outs, lost lines, buddy separation, response plans in confined spaces, etc.

You might note that no team would consider such a penetration unless they knew each other pretty well and had trained together, etc. Agreed, but not many divers discuss a family history of epilepsy (for example) on a routine basis.

IMHO, if you're picking up random dive buddies on some charter for recreational NDL diving, as Genesis noted its a good idea to let your buddy know if s/he may need to respond in some way that requires - say - rescue training. But a dive Team is an entirely different case. People have a right to know if you have a condition that ultimately puts their lives at greater risk (than would be the case if you didn't have such a condition). If its only your own life, that's one thing. But you have no right to endanger the Team by withholding knowledge of some disadvantageous circumstance.

Doc

Maybe I'm naieve, but we are mostly adults here. I figure my buddy will tell me what I need to know.

I would have to say that buddies should be fully aware of each other capabilities and medical status. If you are forewarned as to a buddies potential medical problem you can take the correct steps should the unforseen happen.
If you open up to your buddy about such things it may encourage him/her to open up in turn. The "domino effect" is well documented in diving circles, with divers not disclosing all for reasons such as fear of ridicule, peer pressure etc.
What if I tell my buddy all and they dont want to dive with me? Big deal. If you have been certified by a doctor as fit to dive there is not reason other selfishness that someone would not want to buddy with you (assuming skill level is equal that is). You are better off not diving with these people. Your dive leader should be able to sort out buddy conflicts, a thing which happens all to often in a resort environment.

Snowbear:
If you are diving with a new buddy, how much of your medical history do you reveal?

For instance, if you have a history of (and maybe take medication for) a condition such as, but not necessarily limited to, diabetes, epilepsy or asthma, do you make a new buddy aware of it before you dive with him/her?

Does how much you reveal make a difference if it's a "recreational limits" dive vs a "technical" dive?

On the other side of the fence - if you are the new buddy who is informed of the condition, does it influence whether you will dive with this person? If not, does it influence the "agressiveness" of the dive?
Humm, sounds like there's maybe a story here. Why do you ask?

Rick Inman:
Humm, sounds like there's maybe a story here. Why do you ask?

This sounds like it is coming on the coattails of the guy who posted about having a previously (mis)diagnosed condition of diabetes. As I recall, he wanted folks opinions about whether omitting that from his health history statement was wrong.

I agree that information pertinent to the type of dive should be discussed. Since many divers are rec divers doing relatively easy dives, tell your buddy what you believe you should tell him/her.

Doc Intrepid:
A dive Team that plans, rehearses, and then executes a complicated penetration must function as a Team for the Team to survive. If, deep inside the penetration, one member suddenly goes into convulsions (from some medical or pharmacological malady) it is an issue for the entire Team, not merely the convulsing diver. In the gravest extreme, such an event may put the lives of the entire Team at risk - depending on the circumstances. Think silt-outs, lost lines, buddy separation, response plans in confined spaces, etc.

You might note that no team would consider such a penetration unless they knew each other pretty well and had trained together, etc. Agreed, but not many divers discuss a family history of epilepsy (for example) on a routine basis.

IMHO, if you're picking up random dive buddies on some charter for recreational NDL diving, as Genesis noted its a good idea to let your buddy know if s/he may need to respond in some way that requires - say - rescue training. But a dive Team is an entirely different case. People have a right to know if you have a condition that ultimately puts their lives at greater risk (than would be the case if you didn't have such a condition). If its only your own life, that's one thing. But you have no right to endanger the Team by withholding knowledge of some disadvantageous circumstance.

Doc

I agree with you Doc, but in the situation posited you'd already know that, as you're diving as an integrated team.

If you show up at a cave site and do a "pick up" dive, just as you might do on a boat, then IMHO you had better be able to deal with what you get - or dive solo!

This is one of the reasons that most of the time I do dive effectively solo - I may have a "buddy", but effectively, I'm solo. Why? Because we don't do the "unified team" thing often enough for me to consider us a unified team.

You don't get that label by jumping in the water once or twice, as you've noted. You do it by training, planning, and executing dive(s) together. Thati s a relatively complicated thing, it takes time and training, and it doesn't happen overnight.

IMHO you simply are never such a team if you get on a boat (or drive to some site) and grab someone to dive with. You may call yourself "buddies" for whatever reason, but you're not "team diving."

Frankly, I wish we'd get rid of the entire "buddy" thing. It lends people a false sense of security. I have no issue with diving as a unified team, but that's not the same thing as calling someone your "dive buddy."

I think we'd be better off if we taught people from the get-go that they should be self-sufficient in the water for typical OW diving, and that while a buddy is nice, its kinda like a set of suspenders - the belt is enough, but suspenders can make it nicer. They can also, however, pull your pants uncomfortably up in places where there shouldn't be squeeze :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom