How much lead weights do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back about 1975, we were heading out in my boat to go diving in the Gulf. My dive partner had gotten a new wet suit but I don't remember what thickenss. As we were suiting up for the dive, I noticed his weight belt. It was jam packed full from end to end with heavy looking lead! I asked him about it and was told that he had "calculated the exact amount and this is right"!!! Well ok then!

I was sitting on the side of my boat getting my stuff on when I felt the boat rock and heard a splash. Then his girlfriend told me that he had fallen over the side of the boat. She pointed to his fins and mask laying on the bottom of the boat. I looked over the side of the boat and he was gone like an anchor! I took the rest of his gear with me when I went to look for him.

I went down the anchor line looking for bubbles but saw none. I was swimming increasing size circles around the line when I spotted a trail of bubbles off in the distance. He was about a hundred and ten feet down. At least the idiot had gotten his air turned on! When I swam up to him, it looked pretty bad. He had his BC inflated all of the way, would jump up and paddle and kick and claw like crazy only to slowly sink back down. I gave him the rest of his gear so he could finish getting dressed!

Even with his fins on, he still weighed to much to get more than ten feet off the bottom. He had a single AL80 and was burning air fast. I wrote him a note on my slate to dump all of the air from his vest, then dump his weights and I would control him on the way up. Nope! "This lead cost me to much". Yeah, I though about just leaving him there until he wised up and dumped his weights but figured he'd die if I did.

I got a firm hold on his harness and we both started paddling like crazy. His BC was still full and I added enough to mine so we started ascending. I kept dumping air from mine as we rose and his kept releasing little overpressure fart bubbles.

We were both flat out whupped when we got to the surface. My BC was a manual inflate only and I was to exhausted to blow it up so I popped my CO2 trigger. He kept trying to sink even with his BC inflated to the max so I had to keep a hold on him. I had no idea where the friggin' boat was so I popped a finger flare. (Official military issue! Scarfed by me and put to good use!!)

Our girlfriends showed up with the boat after a few more minutes of trying not to drop him and between all of us, we managed to drag him in the boat. He was out of air even his from J valve reserve and had been on his snorkel for the past while. It was close! They pulled his arms while I pushed from below and we got him over the side. I think he was crying but the water covered it up. He was in bad shape and it was pretty messy because he threw up all over the deck but we were all alive.

The aftermath: The dive was ruined. I never dove with him again and I don't know if he ever dove again. (I didn't ask) His girlfriend broke up with him. She said he was stupid! I agreed. I learned a lesson that day. If you see something about your buddy's gear that bothers you, speak up forcefully. Even that doesn't always work though. I never did find out how much lead he had on that day but when I lifted his belt out of the boat at the dock, it weighed significantly more than my thirty pound mud anchor. He was about 5'8 and weighed in at about 120 pounds.

Salt Water
Drysuit- trilam
BP/W with 8lb attached DSS weight
2lb on left
LM cannister of right @ 2.5Neg
Steel 100 - 130

Crossing your ankles will guarantee you're not. I've seen people swear they weren't kicking... that were. (Just something to think about next time @quietlife4me.)
For those following along…just dove freshwater in my 7mm and with a different instructor. He figured it out…I wasn’t flushing my wetsuit and I was unconsciously taking a big breath before deflating. Dove with 22lbs and we are going to try 20lbs tomorrow.

185lbs, for salt water
5mm suit w 6lb BPW and AL80, I’m rocking 12lbs

Went Hawaiian style a month ago on a trip with 10lbs and felt overweighted.

Used 10lbs this weekend in fresh water. I'm 6', 185lbs. Stainless BP and a 5mm full suit. I maaaaaybe could've used 8 or 9 pounds, but I didn't feel overweighted with 10.

Anywhere from 0 to maybe 12 pounds for warm water. For cold in my heavy suit with multiple layers of neoprene, well, maybe 24. But in such case I try to use my negative steel tanks and my heavy plate so I may still be at only 12 pounds of lead or less. I do not displace a lot of water though, 5-10 and 165 pounds.

I do not always wear a full Scuba Steve outfit. I might just go with a swimsuit and rash guard in the summer in the Keys. In wjhich case, maybe 0 lead. If I have on my full suit 3/2mm with 1.5mm vest under then I might use 8 to 12 pounds of lead. That with generally a supplied aluminum 80. Really, 12 pounds is too much but sometimes I find when carrying a camera, example, all the surge encountered on the east side of Bonaire at the "White Hole," being able to get a little more negative is helpul, thus an additional 2 or 4 pounds.

So, typically, I will have 2 pounds in each cam band pocket and about 3 pounds in each dump pocket on my wing harness. So I can ditch then a total of 6 pounds. My trim is fairly horizontal without too much effort. You can see the red pull tabs on my weight pockets, the cam band pockets are blanked by the VDH 22# wing. You will note the wing has air in the bladder. Yes, I am overweighted here with 10 pounds of lead. But like I said, in surge I like enough lead to have me add a little air to the wing to help stabilize me or as I shift the camera about.

3mm suit, 8lbs of weight. I weigh around 200. I could definitely drop to 6lbs because I have handed a 2lb weight to a buddy having trouble staying down during a safety stop and still had no trouble staying down myself, but 8 keeps me trimmed nicely. Going to try my first cold water dives this year with a 7mm suit, not sure what to start with but thinking around 14-16lbs.

Back
Top Bottom