How much lift does your wing have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me using a 94lb wing for this reason would be like driving around in a school bus because I might encounter 20 or 30 people who need a ride. Come to think of it, I could probably get a really good deal on one of those, too!

A school bus would cost you more in fuel to run. It doesn't cost me anything extra to dive a 94lb lift wing and I'm never concerned about having enough lift. I could have paid more and gotten less but duh why?

A school bus would cost you more in fuel to run. It doesn't cost me anything extra to dive a 94lb lift wing and I'm never concerned about having enough lift. I could have paid more and gotten less but duh why?

Actually, it does cost more 'fuel' in the sense that the increased drag at least theoretically will increase your air consumption. But, that's likely not important enough to matter to you, and slight enough so that I don't know how you'd measure it.

For me, I simply enjoy diving more with a very small wing, I find it far easier to vent and manage trim with varying amounts of air. I find a big wing cumbersome and bulky. Very few divers would advocate using a doubles wing for single tanks, but of course its a personal decision.

Halcyon Explorer 30.
6# SS Plate. 2# Jetfins.
Full 3mm/5mm suit in mild weather, usualy just Uzzis in summer.
And I'm still overweighted.

Actually, it does cost more 'fuel' in the sense that the increased drag at least theoretically will increase your air consumption. But, that's likely not important enough to matter to you, and slight enough so that I don't know how you'd measure it.

For me, I simply enjoy diving more with a very small wing, I find it far easier to vent and manage trim with varying amounts of air. I find a big wing cumbersome and bulky. Very few divers would advocate using a doubles wing for single tanks, but of course its a personal decision.

Couldn't have said it better myself, personal decision not advocating.

Haven't read through the entire thread. I mostly dive an 18# wing. I could dive it year round. But let's not forget one detail. The wing must also float the rig without us in it as well. Steel tank -8. Steel plate -5.5. Trim weights -2. Regs -3? Assorted hardware, lights, pony. Busted.
Steel plate, steel tank....lots of neoprene...out comes my 30# wing.

Hello folks: I am asking this primarily to those who are wetsuit divers, diving single tank to a 100 feet. How much lift does you wing have? I have seen some super-huge wings / BCDs on charter boats and it seems like there are some out there who feel the more lift in the wing the safer they would be.

Follow up question: Is there any organization/philosophy out there that teaches that your wing should have enough lift to float you and your dive buddy on surface with no air in your buddy's BCD. Meaning if your buddy is diving with 25 lbs of negative buoyancy, then your wing should be big enough to float you as well as the other fellow? Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks -

CS
I use a 40# Oxycheq Mach V wing on a Freedom Plate.
But I wish they would have sent me a 30# like I ordered (it was a screw up on their part but I just went with it)
I also have a Hog 32 for the same plate which is just about right.
Used with 7mm to 13mm wetsuits.

In your statement above "Floating you and your dive buddy on the surface with no air in your buddy's BCD"
I have never been so overweighted to not be able to float on the surface without air in my BC.
In fact I sometimes dive with no BC and therefore I don't have a choice but to weight myself correctly to the point that I can easily surface swim out then swim down and do my dive.
If someone is requiring air in the aircell to stay afloat on the surface even with a full tank then they need to rethink their weighting 'cause that is wrong.

I use a DiveRite Travel wing (25lbs/11.3kg of lift) with SS Backplate. When diving 5mm and AL80 I use 2-2.5kg of extra weight (depending on my camera setup and my mood).

32lb wing with hp 100, SS Backplate, Drysuit and 6-8 lbs of lead depending on undergarments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom