How much that the LDS tells me can I believe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you feel this way, a word or two with the instructor can sometimes shed light on thier (lds's) concern of you buying gear before? you get a cert. I would be leary, scuba has a high drop out rate. To buy all your gear before your cert may be an error.
REMEMBER:This is part of his job! & Noone can make you buy from them!
That said, do not fear online equipment. You can find many deals on reliableequipment this way!!!
See you topside! John

On the other hand, a good relationship with a shop can be very helpful, But expensive!

While i understand the greatness of online scuba shops, we cannot afford to buy everything online. If we go totally online, the LDS will go out of businees, causeing problems... Nowhere to cert certified or serviced or that last minute thing you need immediately.

If the instructor is really pushing you to buy gear from the LDS he represent, dont believe much of what he says about gear.
It wont kill you to not use scubapro or aqualung. It wont kill you to buy online.
It CAN however kill you to not have your gear serviced and maintained properly and as far as used equipment goes, I think you should have some knowledge about how "up to date" that gear is and how well its been stored and maintained to avoid overpaying for more or less useless equipment..

There are many things online that are much cheaper than your LDS. However, there are many companies that will not honor their warranties unless you buy from a brick and mortar store or an official authorized retailer of that product. You should check the websites and policies of whatever company product you want to buy.

That being said, as many people have pointed out, there is something to be said about the relationship you develop with your LDS. My shop (Malibu Divers) has a great owner and staff that always try to explain everything they can to me to the best of their ability, and will redirect me to someone who knows if they do not. The reason I chose my shop was that one of the first things I noticed when it came to sales tactics was that they NEVER tried to upsell me or sell me/show me the most expensive thing there. They would only show me something expensive if it was just really cool to show (for example, when the data mask first came out), but they never tried to push anything on me. On the contrary, when I did choose to purchase or even just asked, they would show me everything from lower end to high end depending on what features I want. If they show me something that I ask about, they'll even tell me that it might be pricey and afterwards would show me a more affordable option with the similar features. I think one of the things that really got me was that my LDS would even say, if you want to spend more money, you could get this and it's really cool, but to be honest this is just as effective and really going higher from here is mostly for cool factor.

Anyways, now that I'm done effectively "advertising" my LDS (Malibu Divers!), I'll say that for things like masks, where I can get it online for 35 rather than 70 from my LDS, I'll get it online. If it breaks and there's no warranty, it's not a big deal. However, for all my major purchases and life support equipment, I will purchase from my LDS (unless I want used). The reason being, a lot of the stuff is similarly priced anyways and I would gladly pay the tax and small percentage (at least at my shop) premium over an online store to support my LDS. PLUS I know that if something happens, I can happily walk in and give it to them to take care of, and they'll handle everything, including calling the manufacturer and sending it off to them if need be, obviously I still pay for whatever costs (again this is my LDS, not all LDS). The only times they try to upsell me on anything is when there is a clear safety benefit (or just benefit) for a bit more... MUCH more bang for some bucks. But similarly they will try to downsell me on something they think is too much money for a small benefit.

oops...roommates account.

gotta change login

I don't trust any dive shop within a 50 mild radius of where I live. My main problem with the first shop was they were a hard sell with and incredibly high markup. Like the 1st poster. Embaressed to say but, I spent upwards of $300 on my mask. My bad. Their instructor was a douche so, I went to diveshop #2. They did everything from rag on other shops to ridiculing me for the gear I didn't purchase from them. Mind you, I spent upwards of $1500 with them. Not counting dive trips to Lake Huron, fills, tank rental, and as much as I could afford of whatever I needed at the moment. Not to be too one sided but, they did hook me up and give me great deals more often than not on the little things.

Over Halloween, I had suggested Underwater Pumpkin Carving. Yet another opportunity to ridicule me on the lameness of 'some divers' That 'THEY don't do Underwater Pumpkin Carving' I decided to rent my tank from them and do UPC with another shop and got more grief than I care to put up with. Grief from the gear I didn't buy from them to renting from them and diving with another shop. They literally went over every piece of my gear that I didn't get from them. I tried to laugh it off but, really, as a customer how can I not feel a little resentful. I take what business I can to them but, its never enough. If I was dating them, would've kicked them to the curb a long time ago.

Now.... I don't trust any dive shop at all. Getting my BP/W online, getting my new Jets online.
I'll get the bare minimum but, don't expect me to go to your dive club, outings, and trips. I have my dive buds locally and world-wide and really dont' need the shops for anything but tank rental or fills.

Honestly, I am not the best customer...nor the worst. I read about this type of treatment long before my OW right here at Scubaboard and just expected it. Not one shop surprised me and that's just plain sad.

Oh, and you should have heard what they said about Scubaboard. :)

Lame

Thanx for letting me rant.

There are bullies in this world and the only way to deal with them is to avoid them or confront them. You will never appease them and they will never feel ashamed for what they do. Thankfully, their numbers are getting fewer by the day.

Most of the LDS around here have a very high markup. I carefully selected a training program which required me to buy absolutely nothing. They don't sell anything, just train people.

Having said that, I bought some books and a mask from the LDS, even more expensive than online. I was worried about how the boots would fit. Fit fine in the shop, not so well when I tried them at home with fins. Called LDS and asked about exchange, it was a matter of no questions ask, didn't even bring receipt. I bought a mast while I was there, about $10-$15 more than if I bought online. Why? Very simple, he was very helpful about the exchange. There are lots of things I will buy online, but if there is something that I can afford to buy local I will, its worth the customer service. Having said that, I wouldn't trust anyone that was busy pimping their own gear during training.

Yes, that's right.

$80 - mask
$50 - snorkel
$200 - fins
for each of us.

Rounded on all of those. We did get slightly different equipment from each other but they came out to just about equal when all was said and done.
Don't worry, you're not alone.
Tusa fins paid $189.00 plus taxes. Online cost $149 with free delivery.
Tusa Mask splendive 2 paid $ 72.00 plus taxes. Online cost $36.95.
I did't buy the snorkel because for the beginning I already have one for snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom