How much that the LDS tells me can I believe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that you are in Ohio as well, but I don't know where. There are many shops, 6 in Columbus within 30 minutes of each other. This creates competition and that keeps prices lower. Just go to another store till you find one you like. Shopping online may be the answer in the short term or for some items but as a new diver, you may need to see, try on or at least hold an item. I pity the people who say they only use the LDS for air fills because there is no way a shop makes money off of air fills. I always want to ask those people, why don't you buy a compressor online and just fill your own tanks?

And there's no way a gas station makes money just off the gas. Does that mean I'm a bad person if I only buy gas and don't buy the overpriced food snacks there?

With all the research and information available on the Internet and from certain dive magazines there's no reason whatsoever to put any faith in what the guy at the LDS is pushing.

Do your own homework and then buy from LeisurePro. And just to pre-empt the person who says "but they are not authorized dealers for all brands" that happens to be true but they will match the warranties and will provide excellent service.

I have bought virtually everything I own from them as well as recently getting my reg. and octopus serviced.

Whoever said that we owe it to the LDS to keep him in business? They provide nothing that an informed consumer can't get elsewhere and at better cost and with no "pressure" involved. And suppose that they all closed down tomorrow. Don't you think someone would open up a tank maintenance and air refill depot?

Sy

Most of the LDS around here have a very high markup. I carefully selected a training program which required me to buy absolutely nothing. They don't sell anything, just train people.

Having said that, I bought some books and a mask from the LDS, even more expensive than online. I was worried about how the boots would fit. Fit fine in the shop, not so well when I tried them at home with fins. Called LDS and asked about exchange, it was a matter of no questions ask, didn't even bring receipt. I bought a mast while I was there, about $10-$15 more than if I bought online. Why? Very simple, he was very helpful about the exchange. There are lots of things I will buy online, but if there is something that I can afford to buy local I will, its worth the customer service. Having said that, I wouldn't trust anyone that was busy pimping their own gear during training.

I must be very lucky my LDS is great i check the internet get my prices and my LDS is rite there with them, if i have questions they help. I have nothing but good to say about Long Island Scuba

You are lucky. You have a good competitive dive shop. Lots of people here do. But y'all need to back off and quit preaching to the huge number of divers who are not so lucky. (Not directed to you but to all the "where ya gonna get air" folks.)

And there's no way a gas station makes money just off the gas. Does that mean I'm a bad person if I only buy gas and don't buy the overpriced food snacks there?

Are you serious? Gas Stations do make their money off selling gas. A better example would be like using the bathroom at one station and driving across the street to buy gas at their competitor every week. And for the record, yes, that would make you a bad person. I pay $7 for a tank fill, the owner of my LDS once told me he had $22,000. wrapped up in his compressor. Then you have upkeep and electric. It takes more than a couple of fills to pay that off just so I can benefit. He also said that he had to have a compressor before ANY of his equipment lines would approve him to be a retailer. I don't fault him for being $50 more on my wife's BCs than LP.

Well then you'll just have to get over it. Your example has no relevance because you are still paying money and being a customer when you are buying air. There's a reason virtually all gas stations are food marts - they cannot sustain their business with gasoline sales.

Just remember that your money spends just as well at any other shop. If you dont like his high pressure "buy from me or else you'll die" sales tactics then move on.

Dont be in a hurry to purchase big ticket items. One of my dive buddies (was in my dive class) had to have all of his gear right away and since we recieved our OW certs he has bought 2 sets of regs and is shopping for a 2nd BCD because he likes mine much better then the one he bought. Buying everything right away could possibly cost you twice.

I got certified October of 07 and I still dont own a set of regs or a computer. Im on the "borrow it until you get your own" plan. This has allowed me to try out different brands and styles of equipment. Im not very confident in the water yet but I would rather make a good decision when it comes to my equipment and have 1 less distraction. Hopefully that will allow me to concentrate on the dive/safety and not focus on how much "this" piece of equipment bothers me.

I am not a huge fan of buying equipment online but I have to admit that I have bought a set of Oceanic V-12 fins because no one locally could even come close to matching the price I got from the online vendor that I used. The cheapest I could find them locally was in the $170 range but they would have to order them and it could be over a week. I found them online for $149. When I called the online company to see if they had them in stock and they told me that they had them and that there was a price correction...they they could give them to me for $99. I couldnt pass it up.

In the end I would rather spend my money locally and support the LDS...IF they arent trying to rape my bank account.

Rafer, you are correct that buying gear should be done with deliberation but it doesn't make sense to rent if you dive frequently. You'll pay more in rent than it would cost to buy new plus rental gear is not usually in the best of shape. If you can "borrow", great. But that gets old on your buddies no matter how much they say they don't mind.

And fair warning, some of us are smitten by the gear bug and find ourselves buying new gear all the time no matter how carefully we buy. Gear changes, diving interests change, and it's nice to have backups. Your buddy is not bad off for having two regs.

Back
Top Bottom