How Much to Budget for Training and Equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP says he rather wait to get high quality training -- well, I agree with those that believe that is where he should start.

This IS a case where "It is the instructor" that makes the course. So what should he look for in an instructor?

a. What is the instructor's training? Is it broad based (different agencies, different trainers, different types of diving) or narrow based (same agency, few trainers, just recreational diving)? I'm a huge believer that the broad based instructor has a far greater potential for a much better class.

b. What is the OP's goal? Does he think he just wants to look at the pretty fishies or does he think he wants to dive on a regular basis doing different types of diving?

The training is what is important -- not the gear -- and I can absolutely guarantee you that there is a BIG difference in training at all levels and perhaps especially at the beginner, OW/AOW, level. That is where the real training needs to be done.

I'm really interested in Wreck Diving. I'd like to explore some of the wrecks in Lake Michigan. I've lived near the Great Lakes most of my life. I feel like I've never really taken full advantage of living this close to them. What better way to experience the Great Lakes than exploring them as a diver. I know I may be a long way away from exploring any wrecks. I'd like to take my time and do things right. I'm the kind of person that likes to research things and learn as much as I can up front.

Well, if you are interested in Great Lakes wreck diving, all the more reason to find a technically-savvy instructor for your OW class. I reiterate my recommendations.

Brett,

Like Dan said (Scubainchicago) I also have some extra gear you can check out if he doesn't have something. I'd also recommend just getting certified so you can get in the water and make sure diving is something you're going to enjoy, and then worry about high quality training.

It may have been mentioned but the "Package Deals" at 3 or so on-line stores can save you a lot of money per diver and get you some top quality gear. This thread could go on like the Lionfish, but for my 3 divers I'm just over $3300 total for BCD, Reg, octo and computer, with some extra goodies thrown in, or made me to believe they were :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom