how much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisher2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
how much does all the diving stuff come up to? i estimated about $1100 for me to gety in the water not counting the cert price so how much would it cost?

That is a hard one to ask ie how much does a car cost??.......Well it depends, is probably the best answer...IF you watch your p&q's, a thousand will get you started, but, I'd allow (for a lot) more these days with computers etc etc coming into play....

In Germany you need to pay around 300€ for the CMAS* certification. This includes the training sessions and equipment. At first you only need to buy mask, snorkel and fins, so with around 500€ you get your C-card and ABC. It is highly recommended to rent your gear first, so that you know what not to buy.

if you are not aginst used gear i got everything including a computer,lights,knife,ect/ect for 450$ and it is good stuff. just keep your eyes open

$1100 is a good estimate for a basic warm water diver. If you want to do ice cold diving, the price goes up. Five years ago we got my daughter outfitted for $750, including a tank. It was a combination of good used and new discount gear. She is still using it.

You are not certified, but are doing the right thing trying to establish a budget. Some folks go into diving not knowing the cost. Others get certified and spend more on gear than they have too. I know a guys with really expensive equipment who don't dive much. They are too low on money to pay for the boat trip. What's the use of that?

Welcome to diving.

This dive stuff costs as much as you want it to cost.

Price out a rebreather and see.

That is a hard one to answer - different dive shops charge different prices for instruction based on what is included or not included - example: providing BC, Regulator and Tank for pool and certification, etc.

My LDS charges $275 for Homestudy/Weekend class. You purchase Basic Snorkeling gear (Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Weight Belt and Weights ... $400 to $700) - if you purchase through them, they provide the Wetsuit, BC, Regulator and Tank for pool and certification. If you don't purchase through them, you have to rent Wetsuit, etc., which is only fair, because dive shops make money from gear, not classes. If you purchase all gear from them, you get FREE lessons ....
So, like I said, it all depends on the dive shop and their policies and rates.

Around here, an OW class is going to run you in the neighborhood of $450, by the time all is said and done. This includes tuition, materials, personal gear (mask, snorkel, fins, booties and gloves, which most places require you to buy), and cert costs. If you peruse the ads of various shops, the prices will vary wildly . . . but so will what's included in that cost. In the end, the $450 price is pretty close, although if you choose very expensive personal gear, it will obviously be more. And dive instruction here is done from shore, so no boat charter fees are involved.

If you want to own your own gear, costs will vary by region. For warm water, you need a BC, regulator, exposure protection and possibly some kind of weight system. For cold water, you'll need a hood, weights, gloves, and possibly a dry suit. I think we had about $2k into basic gear when we outfitted ourselves after certification (including bargain dry suits). I carry more than that in accessories nowadays . . . :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom