How not to hyperventilate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As was mentioned, are you exhaling fully and forcefully enough to clear out your snorkel tube each time? I notice I "huff" out.

Do you have some fancy long snorkel? Try a cheapie simple shortish one. Stay at surface. Still a problem? If not, you are building up crap air and CO2 in your fancy tube.

You don't have a full face mask do you?

Tell us a little more about you: Height, weight, overall health, amount of exercise you routinely do, overall comfort level in the water.

-Z

5'8", 135 lb (140 on a really good day). Overall health is good, but my exercise is mostly a lot of walking -- as in more than a mile as part of my workday commute, and more than that if I go out into nature on a day off. When I was in the Navy, the intensive physical training got me up to 150 lbs, probably all muscle mass since I very quickly lost it when I got out of the Navy and was no longer training like that.

Very comfortable in the water usually, but I think part of my problem is that I have been snorkeling without fins, which makes the currents harder to deal with. But I have had this problem even with fins, when I was in heavier surf than I was used to.

Do you have some fancy long snorkel? Try a cheapie simple shortish one. Stay at surface. Still a problem? If not, you are building up crap air and CO2 in your fancy tube.

You don't have a full face mask do you?

No, my snorkel is a cheap one, and no way would I dare try one of those full face masks! The first time I saw a picture of one, I figured it would make me panic.

Hi « WeR the Ocean »
My # 5 ...I wrote : Forget it's a bad joking
It was about your pseudo :(, not about my propositions at #2 and #9, to ventilate and relax like we do in 'apnea club’.

Have you tried these exercises?

If you dive don’t hold your snorkel in mouth, see the long discussion there. => Snorkeling advice from the net!

And please watch the video given by АлександрД)
TANYA STREETER ( a champion in apnea gives a good example)
=>

Back
Top Bottom