How often do we say "we need a celebrity" to promote scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z - have you ever been on a dive boat?

More than once or twice?

There's no drama... there's no intrigue... there's no social experiment... there's no story line. The boat leaves the dock, motors to the dive site, and everyone but the captain jumps off the boat for an hour. Gradually they return to the boat, where they sit around and eat stale crackers for an hour. Then they all jump off the boat again, only to gradually return. The boat motors back to the dock. Closest to drama might be a broken fin strap... or a clogged head.

How familiar are your non-diving friends with the show "Into The Drink"? Have you even heard of it? The answer to that should tell you something. Non-divers stayed away in droves, and divers picked the show apart relentlessly.

You've yet to convey an actual idea for your show beyond the fact that it centers around a dive boat. Is there at least a morbidly obese singing celebrity bachelor chef on board?

Last edited:
Remember that show with Boyd Coddington who built street rods, I can't remember the name, but anyway, at the time I was loosely connected to the car scene as a pinstriper.
A shop I did a lot of work for used to go to Vegas and knew Boyd personally and his employees.
When Boyd was approached about the show they told him that he needed to increase the drama and do something more than just the daily grind. So he became an ******* and all the employees played along "for the sake of the show". The show went on for several seasons and slowly the shop became more of stage than an actual working shop. Several of the employees ended up quiting because they wanted to work on hot rods, not be some little stage extras.
Eventually Boyd lost most or all of his customers because anybody who want's a car built would avoid a drama shop like that like the plague.
That show finally put him out of business and a few months later he died.

true story.

the moral of the story is be careful what you wish for.

Z - have you ever been on a dive boat?

More than once or twice?

There's no drama... there's no intrigue... there's no social experiment... there's no story line. The boat leaves the dock, motors to the dive site, and everyone but the captain jumps off the boat for an hour. Gradually they return to the boat, where they sit around and eat stale crackers for an hour. Then they all jump off the boat again, only to gradually return. The boat motors back to the dock. Closest to drama might be a broken fin strap... or a clogged head.

How familiar are your non-diving friends with the show "Into The Drink"? Have you even heard of it? The answer to that should tell you something. Non-divers stayed away in droves, and divers picked the show apart relentlessly.

You've yet to convey an actual idea for your show beyond the fact that it centers around a dive boat. Is there at least a morbidly obese singing celebrity bachelor chef on board?

I have never been on a dive boat all the dives I have done so far are shore dives. I am assuming much, but remember that these are just ideas for possible shows.

Perhaps there are other options that would be a better fit like a live aboard or actually even better would be culmination of different types of boat
operations. As in a reality show depicting different types of jobs or operations (search and recovery, treasure hunting ,conservation and protection, etc..) in the industry and the goal would be keep the viewer interested by the show cleverly moving from one setting to another. Crafting this type of show would be more challenging but why not look at it as it an be done rather than it is to hard to do. Perhaps that is just the way I always try to look at things. If I can focus on the possibilities other ideas start to become more apparent to me that can make them even more feasible.

Though criticism does help sand down the rough edges on an idea I believe it needs to balanced out by offering a possible alternative this helps keep the ball rolling forward. There are alot of great thoughts out there. I did not even bring up the reality show in the first place but after thinking about it , it made sense to me and I turned my focus on that.

This whole forum is like a social experiment. Sure we like to have a conversation about a certain topic. We differ on opinions but what one of the underlying things that we are encountering is the human interaction between one another. Our responses the way we handle them these are all a social play. We actually have an appetite for it. I know sometimes we just ask for information but other times we seek more and as a secondary byproduct we receive the human delivery to the answer. Some are blunt , perhaps borderline rude, sarcastic others are more considerate and caring it differs so much that it challenges us to figure out how to respond best when faced with different responses. Reality shows are just another form of social media. It is a show with characters on a certain setting dealing with themselves their environment and other challenges. We are all basically in one form or another being drawn to the social aspect of entertainment.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2015 at 12:59 PM ----------

Remember that show with Boyd Coddington who built street rods, I can't remember the name, but anyway, at the time I was loosely connected to the car scene as a pinstriper.
A shop I did a lot of work for used to go to Vegas and knew Boyd personally and his employees.
When Boyd was approached about the show they told him that he needed to increase the drama and do something more than just the daily grind. So he became an ******* and all the employees played along "for the sake of the show". The show went on for several seasons and slowly the shop became more of stage than an actual working shop. Several of the employees ended up quiting because they wanted to work on hot rods, not be some little stage extras.
Eventually Boyd lost most or all of his customers because anybody who want's a car built would avoid a drama shop like that like the plague.
That show finally put him out of business and a few months later he died.

true story.

the moral of the story is be careful what you wish for.

That is truly a sad story. Something to keep in mind and I hear what you are saying. It is good to know all the potential risks involved this gives one the wisdom to try and avoid this pitfalls. Equally important is to note the success stories of some pf these reality shows. Although hard to validate some in a personal way like the one you have describe. I can only go by the success of how long some of these shows have been running.

What I can take from what you just describe is that if anyone is contemplating doing a reality show they must keep in mind the importance of not undermining the integrity or future of their business. It is a business decision and should be carefully thought out, if jump in at the opportunity you risk jeopardizing your business and ruining your life. There are risks but there are also rewards if done in a wise. While the producers or writers might be asking for drama or chaos it has to be the operator who sets the limit and it his reputation that is on the line when the show is over. So that factor has to be made clear from the start and should be one of the most important stipulations that the operator must express to the producers of such show.

There is nothing wrong with stating examples of failures and how one could not make this work, I know this because I am constantly challenged as a manufacturer. But I usually consider all information including this one as a guideline as to what not to do. Then I proceed to move forward one step at a time.

Last edited:
I have never been on a dive boat all the dives I have done so far are shore dives. I am assuming much, but remember that these are just ideas for possible shows.

Well there's your problem right there.

While the producers or writers might be asking for drama or chaos it has to be the operator who sets the limit and it his reputation that is on the line when the show is over. So that factor has to be made clear from the start and should be one of the most important stipulations that the operator must express to the producers of such show.

Again... that just ain't how TV works. You want to play on TV... you play by the producer's rules. The only stipulation the boat op will be able to make is that he will do what the producers tell him to do... or that he will be replaced by someone else who will. Do you think that the TV producers care what happens to the boat ops rep after the show is over? Not a whit.

I like the idea of trying to get diving out into the mainstream in an organic fashion, but suggest that you don't stay wed to the reality show idea. The moment you fall in love with an idea... you lose the inability to see others. What other ways are there to do this?

The process for getting a celebrity or two behind a brand, product, or service is very straightforward. Easy enough to determine who the best diving target audience is, compile a list of celebrities with high Q-scores among that audience, do a tiny bit of research on which of those would be ideal, approach that person's manager, work out a deal, get them certified, send them on vacation, take some pics, videos, etc. Could be done in four-six weeks - start to finish. Surprisingly not that expensive either.

Well there's your problem right there.

Again... that just ain't how TV works. You want to play on TV... you play by the producer's rules. The only stipulation the boat op will be able to make is that he will do what the producers tell him to do... or that he will be replaced by someone else who will. Do you think that the TV producers care what happens to the boat ops rep after the show is over? Not a whit.

I like the idea of trying to get diving out into the mainstream in an organic fashion, but suggest that you don't stay wed to the reality show idea. The moment you fall in love with an idea... you lose the inability to see others. What other ways are there to do this?

The process for getting a celebrity or two behind a brand, product, or service is very straightforward. Easy enough to determine who the best diving target audience is, compile a list of celebrities with high Q-scores among that audience, do a tiny bit of research on which of those would be ideal, approach that person's manager, work out a deal, get them certified, send them on vacation, take some pics, videos, etc. Could be done in four-six weeks - start to finish. Surprisingly not that expensive either.
Don't get me wrong, i do also welcome the idea if there is a chance that a celebrity can do what you described. It not a matter of one vs the other but rather one thing and in addition the other as well, if it is possible.

I do not favor the reality show vs a regular show or a popular celebrity. Rather I just look at it that as another option that should not be overlooked because they are so popular.

Rather I just look at it that as another option that should not be overlooked because they are so popular.

So are Chipotle burritos, Nike sneakers, and British boy bands...

Forget the "reality" shows, if they were filming reality none of the shows would last more than an episode, if that.

I don't know if it would interest anyone else, but say a celebrity an episode at their favorite dive location with a mix of diving, interview the subject about their thoughts and feelings on diving, and may be a few cuts of old home movies of their earlier dives. Start out with the Bridges boys, for historical context, and work from there. With a good interviewer, a celebrity that loves diving, and a beautiful location it could draw a lot of positive attention to the sport without all the drama.

Bob
-------------------------------
...available for technical assisstance.

Forget the "reality" shows, if they were filming reality none of the shows would last more than an episode, if that.

I don't know if it would interest anyone else, but say a celebrity an episode at their favorite dive location with a mix of diving, interview the subject about their thoughts and feelings on diving, and may be a few cuts of old home movies of their earlier dives. Start out with the Bridges boys, for historical context, and work from there. With a good interviewer, a celebrity that loves diving, and a beautiful location it could draw a lot of positive attention to the sport without all the drama.

Especially if she has large ….. I mean huge personality :D

Seriously though, an action movie with realistic dive scenes, maybe a special ops crew of divers who get called up to rescue people stuck in a sunk boat or such or in a flooded mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzhi5a0M3jM

Keeping it as realistic as possible without idiotic scenes will be the challenge.

Especially if she has large ….. I mean huge personality :D

Seriously though, an action movie with realistic dive scenes, maybe a special ops crew of divers who get called up to rescue people stuck in a sunk boat or such or in a flooded mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzhi5a0M3jM

Keeping it as realistic as possible without idiotic scenes will be the challenge.

Yeah, I'll keep the huge personality in mind for the interview subjects that can't put two words together, so to speak.
Show folks how they can go have fun like the rich and famous in exotic locations and I can see lines to the LDS to take up their new favorite hobby.

Action movies are great and would be fun, however a movie showing problems underwater to promote diving would not necessarily tempt a large audience to take up diving.

Bob
-------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

There's no drama... there's no intrigue...

:wink: There's plenty of both, of the school yard/locker room variety. What there isn't any of is sex appeal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom