How often do you get your regs serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to respond with "You have to be joking", until I read further and realised your tongue was firmly jammed in your cheek.

You sucked me in, best sarcasm I have seen for a while, and you so neatly lead me into it as well. Well done! :D

I am sorry. I thought it was clear my post was a joke when talking about Star Trek.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2014 at 03:20 PM ----------

You can achieve this one of two ways; either get someone to breath off the regulator for an hour or so or use a machine like the Scubatools one. Neither solution is cheap nor are they perfect as they do not replicate the effects of pressure on the piston or diaphragm.

Do you have Taco Bell in the UK? If so then eat there preferably drinking some beer with the meal (if you can call it that). In a short time, your family will be begging to breath off the regulator. They may even offer to pay you for the privilege to do so.

I have my gear serviced every 2 years, 100 dives, or whenever they start to show signs of wear.

That being said, I check my IP every trip to the quarry, it's part of my pre-check. Takes 20 seconds with a portable IP gauge. If the IP isn't creeping and my second stage/octo breathes fine, and it's not voiding the warranty, it can wait.

I use DiveLog DT to track my usage. When my gear starts to get near 100 dives or 2 years, it gets serviced.

when they need it...

what is a warranty?

My main regs get serviced every 6-8 months. But they also see 250-300 dives a year and 3600-3800 psi regularly. About 6-8 months after servicing they need servicing again. My stage and deco regs go every 2-3 years. They don't see quite as many dives and never see more than 3000 psi.

Bulk opinion on this post makes perfect sense but is there any sense in maintaining manufacturer warranty on regs? I dive Apeks and if I do not service them every year then I loose the free parts. My reg sees 25 - 50 dives a year and I am wondering if it needs annual service after so little usage. Also makes me wonder if I should bail out of the free service just to save money on longer service intervals?

Bulk opinion on this post makes perfect sense but is there any sense in maintaining manufacturer warranty on regs? I dive Apeks and if I do not service them every year then I loose the free parts. My reg sees 25 - 50 dives a year and I am wondering if it needs annual service after so little usage. Also makes me wonder if I should bail out of the free service just to save money on longer service intervals?

I'd bail.

I'd bail since they require annual service. SP has stepped down to every two years so I've decided to stay on track with parts for life.

I am another that does it as needed. My 2003 mk25 had not seen a shop. It has but on a very few occasions seen salt water and always gets a good rincing. I do accept that it could just fail and that is part of the reason why i dive H valves. The big reason is that H ro Y valves just makes sence. I have always been of the opinion that the maint interval is CYA for the worst possible conditions and dove daily long and hard.

I usually have it done once when I buy a used reg, then only again if it acts up.

I think some regs are heartier than others kind of like my guns. I could drag an AK or Glock through the mud/sand or the dogs could bury it in the backyard and I could pull it out and it would fire every time. However if I don't strip and clean my AR after every trip to the range it starts acting funny and gives me tons of misfires.

It is a good post but does not explain another poster's environmental seal falling off after a service.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2014 at 01:56 PM ----------

My post was a joke, I thought it was obvious with the Star Trek reference. You are a bit too serious sometimes.

I thought so but you did such a good job you had me really puzzled.

Back
Top Bottom