How often does a free-flowing regulator really happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

princessaprilia

Contributor
Reaction score
snowbound Canadian fortress, AKA Regina, SK
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking into purchasing my first regulator. :D

Since I'm looking at ones that will be good in colder water, I'm noticing a lot of reference to free-flowing.

How often does this really happen? I understand why it happens, I practiced what to do in the pool if it does, but I'm sure not looking forward to it happening to me or my buddy. :shocked2:

I think the answer to how often it happens really depends on a few factors. For one, how cold you mean by "colder water." Ice diving, or diving in environments where components can freeze will cause a greater likelihood of free-flows. In temperate waters, say as cold as the 50 F, I'd say you have nothing to worry about with most good quality regulators (not the cheap-o brands).

Another factor may be the brand... There are some super-cheap-o-no-name regulators out there that may likely have balance problems or parts that wear and break quickly, causing likelihood of free-flow to happen more often.

Other factors are simply how you treat your gear. Bury it in sand on every dive and don't clean it after and you're pretty likely to have problems more often.

In my case, I have never had a reg free-flow, and temps in the winter here are in the 50's. I've had slow leaks before, which has happened from a grain of sand getting into the wrong place, first stage getting out of tune, or a worn seat somewhere, but never a full free flow. This is in 14 years of diving and a well cared for ScubaPro Mk10 / G250.

Just some thoughts!

My statistics:

I've got 3.500 dives whereof probably around 1.000 dives in cold waters in Scandinavia. It never happened to me... I've been using mainly Apex TX100 and Spiro Cryo D.

Of course it has happened that my reg has free-flowed because it's been "upside down" when I jump in but I don't think you mean that kind of free-flow?

...a...
www.aziab.com
Red Sea Expert ;o)

Based on my experience the cut-off for needing special ÅÄold water regulators seems to be about 42 44 Degrees F, those last 10 Degrees before freezing are the tough ones.

Solid brand name regulators (even low cost ones) that are properly maintained and used (not dragged through the dirt) rarely free flow.

My son dives an Aqualung Titan in cold water (Central NY) and has no issues at all.

Hope this helps, Mike

Oooops, sorry, I suppose I should have been more specific (ScubaBoard mind readers must be sleeping), when I say colder water, I'm referring to the 46F - 52F range. I realize that there are many people diving in much colder than that, and there are some that don't even consider that to be cold, but I'm thinking this will be my limit.

I have only been diving since October and I have seen free flowing regs 3 times. All 3 times were due to sand/salt build up in the regs. Twice was rental gear and once my husbands alternate free flowed. He tied a knot in it. I know that hubbies was salt build up. But the other two were from people dragging rental gear through the sand on their way back to the dive trailer.

Never had a free flow myself either, cant say that i have seen one happen in 1000+ dives, only thing similar i have seen is build up of small bits of grit from shore diving and coupled with not cleaning properly after use, (neglect).. as to the kind of reg your getting that depends on the temps your diving in if its close to freezing then you will want one thats environmentally sealed.. For the temps your describing i would be looking down the road of a Mares Abyss, now they use the trimaterial hp valve you get a far longer cycle in between having to have it changed..

46-52F is not a big challenge for a reg and you should not have much of a problem. That said, it helps if you minimize the pre-dive testing and do not breathe off of or inflate with the reg until it is fully submerged, especially if the air temps are cold, as any use of the reg out of water can cool it well below freezing and cause ice to form that may grow and become problematic during the dive. Also, do not over breathe the reg and avoid inhaling and inflating at the same time. Also avoid long blasts on the inflator. Several smaller corrections allow the reg to re-warm far better than one long buoyancy correction.

The Scubapro Mk 17 with a G250V second stage is a superb cold water reg, at least as good as any thing else available and better than 99% of what is out there for cold water diving. The Scubapro Mk 25 on the other hand, and in particular the Mk 25 S600 has a reputation for "freeze flows" in water colder than about 45 degrees.

46-52F is not a big challenge for a reg and you should not have much of a problem. That said, it helps if you minimize the pre-dive testing and do not breathe off of or inflate with the reg until it is fully submerged, especially if the air temps are cold, as any use of the reg out of water can cool it well below freezing and cause ice to form that may grow and become problematic during the dive. Also, do not over breathe the reg and avoid inhaling and inflating at the same time. Also avoid long blasts on the inflator. Several smaller corrections allow the reg to re-warm far better than one long buoyancy correction.

The Scubapro Mk 17 with a G250V second stage is a superb cold water reg, at least as good as any thing else available and better than 99% of what is out there for cold water diving. The Scubapro Mk 25 on the other hand, and in particular the Mk 25 S600 has a reputation for "freeze flows" in water colder than about 45 degrees.

How is the MK25AF in relation to the vanilla MK25? I'm diving a MK25AF/X650 and will start diving cold scandinavian waters this year.

But it's not only the water temperature that makes the reg freeze and free-flow. The pressure in the gas from the tank is released the temperature of the gas is sinking rapidly and it could get much colder inside the first stage tahn in the surrounding water. Best is of course to have a dry chamber in the first stage.

...a...
WELCOME TO AZIAB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom