How old is "too old"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprisingly, a lot of my younger friends seem to think of SCUBA diving as an old folks thing.

What the Hades are y'all talking about? Too old humbug.

I did quit riding really fast motorcycles because my reflexes are a might slower than 30 years ago. I cannot see a Harley because it is definitely an old man thing. Too many fat white guys in black leather and stupid looking tattoos. I think I will get a skate board instead and shread.

Are any of y'all wearing leisure suits and velcro lace tennies? If so, you are too old to dive. Go home and sit on your couch, it is over.

N

Last edited:
I am 69 and I still do most of the dives I have done in the past. I tend not to jump into 6 foot seas anymore, too hard to get back aboard. I also reduced my depth limit to 100 feet.

There are age related issues with perception -- night vision and close up vision go down, hearing often decreases, particularly in the high frequencies. Reaction time slows. I don't see any of those being very relevant at all in diving. Driving a car with poor night vision is a major problem, as are slow reaction times, but diving just isn't a "have to react in a split second" kind of sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom