How Permanent is Permanent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henryville

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought some used shot-blast finish AL 80s recently. They have some markings on them that I would like to remove. Based on the way they look, I am assuming they are "permanent" marker. Does anyone have a successful approach for removing this sort of mark?

Thanks

Metallic paint stripper from your local hardwares store will remove anything.

Don't get it on your skin, however. You will need thick plastic gloves, and it will melt them also.

Laquer thinner.

Any ideas for getting that stuff off a steel tank with a hot-dipped galvanized finish? (don't want to hurt the finish)

I'd try acetone. (AKA nail polish remover)

We used to use hair spray. No lie. The cheap stuff, I think it was called White Rain. It will remove permanent ink.

Any ideas for getting that stuff off a steel tank with a hot-dipped galvanized finish? (don't want to hurt the finish)

Not much other than a grinder will hurt a hot dipped galvanized finish. Just about any hydrocarbon based solvent will clean it.

Hairspray Aquanet or rubbing alcohol. Try em first then on to the hard stuff...

Back
Top Bottom