How safe is Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickmama

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With all the reports out about the dangers of Mexico I was just wondering how safe is Cozumel? We are going to bring our grandkids and want to make sure it is safe! They are both divers and I am sure they will want to spend some time around the pool by themselves they are 16 and 14.

extremely safe. nothing to worry about. i believe most of the violence that we see in the news is over 1,000 miles away.

I've been there a dozen times starting in the early 90's. I just returned from a 10 day trip a month ago. It's just as safe now as it was then. In fact, I feel safer there than at home.

I can't believe this question even has to be asked. Have you ever seen anything in the news about cartel violence in Cozumel?

I can't believe this question even has to be asked. Have you ever seen anything in the news about cartel violence in Cozumel?

A lot of news reports aren't too specific, they seem to like to generalize this violence thing.

The VAST majority of the violence issues seem to be centered around areas that are close to or encompass drug trafficing routes. Cozumel is not one of those, so it is pretty much safe from the drug violence.....except that one time where the guy got whacked trying to hide out there lol.

Safest place in Mexico. So safe it does not feel like Mexico.
Especialy for divers. Your always near a resort or tourist area. They take good care of tourist's spending money. Crime is low cause the penalties are harsh and its an island, everybody knows everybody else.
Further inland can get a little gritty but not even as bad as some trailer parks in Florida.

A lot of news reports aren't too specific, they seem to like to generalize this violence thing.

Example? I haven't seen one yet about an incident that doesn't mention the place and the place has never been Cozumel.

This again? Sorry, but someone comes in asking this about once a week, it seems. Cozumel is safer than most cities in the U.S. Safer by a long ways, compared to most.

Being afraid to go to Cozumel because of drug cartels along the border is like being afraid to go to San Francisco because of gang violence in Chicago. The problems are elsewhere.

Fortunately when planning the perfect crime the following scenario doesn't happen too often:

"Lets hit the jewelry store, make a hasty getaway, evade police by speeding through the streets and then get off at the ferry terminal and wait patiently for our turn to get off the island"

:) LOL

But in all seriousness to the OP while there will always be someone trying to take advantage of a traveller I would hesitate a guess that in Coz you are safer than you are in most Caribbean, International or stateside locations, so have fun

Is it time for one of these again? I guess it's a reasonable question, but here are maps showing how far it is from Coz to the states covered by the latest warnings and the closest Mexican state of concern...

Mexico warnings.JPG

Over a thousand miles...

Mexico warnings 2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom