How Should El Nino Affect My Choice For Dive Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StubbornRussian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to book a warm water vacation for my wife and I in June of 2016. Right now our leading candidate is 2 weeks in Borneo including a week near Sipadan. Our second choice is two weeks in the Philippines - Malapascua, Palawan, etc. We are kid free on this trip (which is a rarity) so we are planning to go all out with accommodations and itinerary. I am concerned about the effects of the El Nino which seems to gathering more steam every day. For those that dove these areas last El Nino, how was the diving affected? Willl the big schools of barracuda still show? Am I worrying for nothing? I mean I imagine that Sipadan and the surrounding areas or the Phillipines at their worst still dive better than anywhere in the Carribean we might go to. It appears that the Carribean is a little bit less affected by the El Nino pattern. I have heard that the Red Sea is also somewhat insulated to the El Nino effects but we have a full family trip to that part of the world planned for the following the year.

In a nutshell, how much should what is happening with the El Nino affect out travel destination choice?

Weather. It's just weather.

I'm wondering how this strong El Nino year will affect the currents in the Galapagos or Cocos this summer (June). How do I get objective advice about this? I'm starting to hear that the warmer water will significantly affect the presence of the Hammerheads and Whalesharks etc that I'd be traveling there to see. Should I wait until 2017? Thanks.
John Highsmith

The diving in the Philippines is still great - plenty of school of fish, beautiful macro and corals as well as the whale sharks and the tresher sharks (in Malapascua). If you want, StubbornRussian, have a look to our >>> trip blogs in the Philippines for further information on how the underwater life is in the Philippines. :)

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom