How should I breathe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver:
And ONCE AGAIN.... :shakehead I have said this before. Breath however the hell you people want. I explained what works FOR ME. If you like it, use it. If not, ignore it.

greatness is such a lonely calling

I just breathe normally. I don't change a thing from breathing above water, except putting the regulator in my mouth. I do that and my SAC rate hovers around .40. On months that I do a little more running than normal my SAC rate drops down to about .32-.35, and on months I don't run that much my SAC rate goes up to about .58.

SAC rate can be affected by a few things; weighting, comfort level, conditions (how hard you are working in current) and so on.

SAC rate also has much to do with your cardio-vascular health/condition versus HOW you breathe. The healthier your system is will have a large effect on your SAC as well (you can see that in my numbers above).

dmdoss:
fire_diver:
I agree that we may be getting bogged down by semantics.
Whats new. Thats the way every thread gets.
What are you guys, a bunch of anti-semantics? :rofl3:

(Sorry, I just *had* to. :biggrin:)

King_of_All_Tyrants:
How Should I Breath?

KoAT

I would recommend through your mouth when diving. I tried using my nose once, and my mask became too tight and I went purple.

I hope this helps. :14:

Seriously, you need to experiment and do what ever makes YOU feel comfortable. I prefer short deep breaths held for two or three seconds and fully exhaling.

I only read the title of your post so my answer would be Early & Often....GEAUX MIKE VI...........

Always breathe slowly and deeply! NEVER SKIP BREATH!! I am a PSD diver and I have been involved in a few recoveries unfortunately that had been AGE related!!I unfortunately lost a friend in May who held his breath after panicking and shot to the surface in a lake 80 miles from here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom