How Smart is a Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish, like all animals (including people) are as smart as they needed to be yesterday but are never smart enough for tomorrow, that's the way it works.

Well, more correctly stated, some are smart enough for tomorrow (or even the day after), and some were not smart enough for today or yesterday--that's the way it works.

You can train fish. Gently tap the glass and then do a 'c'mere' motin with your fingers. Then feed them right there at that point. Change locations the next feeding time. Tap less and less, and lighter and lighter. After a month or so, they will come to the hand movement.

Oscars are awesome. Like dogs they get all excited when you arrive. My Green Oscar would always follow my movements.

Oscars are great. I had one for over 15 years. It would constantly remodel the aquarium moving the gravel around to different places. It would dismantle the vertical air pump tubes and reassemble them horizontally on the bottom. It would remember faces and definitely took a dislike to some of my neighbours and try to attack them through the glass whenever they appeared.

Dr. Eugenie Clark (aka The Shark Lady) was training lemon sharks in the late 60's. I don't remember the details but she trained them to do mazes or something like that. She did prove they leaned and remembered their lessons.

You can train fish.

But. Why?

Get one to bring me the newspaper and I'll be impressed.

but why?

It'd just be wet.... and smell like fish...

I don't like the implication here and I bet Cave Diver won't either.

And how the heck do YOU know who was reading it before him?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom