How thick to buy a wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been a diver for 50 years, I've only dove warm water sites and I can do 20 dives at 76-78 degree water with no problems. I'm heavy. I see divers wearing wet suits in water over 80 degrees and I have no need of a suit above that. I sometimes wear a fleece vest. However this has kept me from cold water sites like Cocos or Socorro. So my question is: If I bought one wet suit, would you recommend a 3 mm or a 5 mm? Thanks.

Those are 2 of my bucketlist liveaboard destinations. I have been to both places, Cocos Diving Trip Report, 17 -27 September, 2018 and Socorro 22-30 December, 2018 Trip Report I like the trips a lot and already made plan to go back, Gathering a group for Cocos with Argo on 10-20 September 2020 and Socorro 2021 aboard the Belle Amie

Last time I was there I wore 3mm full wetsuit for first 2 days, then put over 2mm shorty & hood for the rest of the week of diving. When you dive 7 straight days with 3-4 dives / day, you will get cold after 2-3 days. So it is good to bring extra layers.

Keep in mind that I'm 5' 9", 155 lbs, not much blubber to keep myself warm. For the next trips, I'll replace my 3mm full wetsuit with 5mm wetsuit and replace my rush guard with 2mm hooded vest. Will still carry 2mm shorty just in case I will still get cold after 2-3 days of a week-long diving.

I will get 2 of hooded vest so I can swap it on every dives. It is not fun to put on a wet & cold hooded vest, Having a spare hooded vest would give a bit of longer time for them to dry out between every other dives.

Alternate to having spare hooded vest, I think @chillyinCanada brought up a good idea of pouring warm water between the vest & your body to warm the wet vest up a bit.

"miserably overheated" in a 2 mm? You must certainly be in an extreme minority. for me,...

Well, 84 degree water & heavy current, so I'm working to stay where I want to be & generating heat in the process.

I have the yellow, works great.......read the specs and see which one works for you. Best advice I have is if you get one, when disconnecting the plugs pull straight and don’t wiggle. They can be temperamental.
Jay

Can you comment on sizing? I have 42in chest, 33 waist. I think I’m a large, but for some makers (4th element) I seem to be xl or even 2xl.

Jay

Can you comment on sizing? I have 42in chest, 33 waist. I think I’m a large, but for some makers (4th element) I seem to be xl or even 2xl.
The material is very stretchy, so depending how you like the fit, order Large for snug, xl for a bit looser. Just a guess. Ive got the 2xl and I'm a 50 inch chest, quite snug.

I've never been too hot underwater, but I have been too cold, and it's not fun. I'm generally in favor of erring on the side of more.

I also vote 5mm for the reasons above, but also because I've had a little more than 300 dives on my 5mm wetsuit and it's still going strong but it is definitely closer to a 3mm now :D

Much better to err on the thicker side. You can always cool off if needed by flushing the suit, but you cannot warm up.

Thanks, can you tell me more about the Thermulation product. The web site is a bit scant on how it works. Does it just heat the back between the scapulas? Does the warmth circulate to other parts of the body? Im wondering how a heating pad on upper back can make a difference in the arms and front. Thanks.
I have the Yellow Plus. It's a nylon tank top with a heating element on the back and carries two Li polymer batteries on the sides. Sometimes I'll turn it so the heating element is on the front. It's fun to use and is controlled by a wireless remote that I bungee strap to my forearm. It has three settings. The whole system is half pound negative in buoyancy. Unlike a thicker wetsuit it does not require extra lead. Big drawback is the price-- $900, an expensive options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom