How those idiots (us) run out of air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4. Have never free-dived.

This is a requirement now? I guess I shouldn't get in the water...

Not a requirement from PADI however there is a 'Skin Dive' that is recommended during the PADI OW training. This optional training is rarely made in a 3-4 day PADI OW course. Some training agencies make it compulsory I believe.

Comfort and ability in modest-depth freediving will make you a better all-round scuba diver.

Trainee's need to be realistic as well about what they expect to achieve from a 3-4 day diving course. It's not that uncommon to see people coming in to a divecenter on vacation who can relate to one of these:
1. Cannot swim.
2. Cannot float.
3. Are afraid of water.
4. Have never free-dived.
5. Have never snorkeled.
6. Are afraid of fish.
7. Have no experience in the ocean.

Then there are the 'regular' people who don't spend a lot of time in or around water. Too often they also sign up for a dive course expecting the course to turn them in to divers. It doesn't work like that. Thses people may well do enough to finish a course but the course does not turn you in to a diver.

The course covers the neccessary skills in order for he individual to become a diver through repetition of those skills during future dives.

There are a significant number of certified divers to whom some of the above still apply, particularly possession of acceptable swimming skills and endurance. Under forgiving conditions it may not make a difference, when conditions are challenging, it may be a different story. I've been accused of, and am, old school. I believe there should be a reserve to help take care of unforeseen conditions and circumstances.

Not a requirement from PADI however there is a 'Skin Dive' that is recommended during the PADI OW training. This optional training is rarely made in a 3-4 day PADI OW course. Some training agencies make it compulsory I believe.

Comfort and ability in modest-depth freediving will make you a better all-round scuba diver.

Or to look at it another way:
If you are uncomfortable or to "busy" to do some free diving/snorkelling; should you really be taking up diving? It's a little like wanting to run races but not seeing walking as a necessary skill.

Funny-Quote-Stuck-in-traffic-on-the-way-to-the-gym-to-ride-stationary-bikes.jpg

Yesterday I was diving on the Toa Maru. It ranges from 7- 38 meters deep. We were at about 27m inside the wreck when a novice diver in our group was asked their pressure. The response was 700psi and when we told her to immediately exit with the guide, it was met with a reluctance to do so. Seeing as the turn pressure was supposed to be 1500 for her, I was amazed. Having enough air to return to the surface did not seem to be the primary consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yesterday I was diving on the Toa Maru. It ranges from 7- 38 meters deep. We were at about 27m inside the wreck when a novice diver in our group was asked their pressure. The response was 700psi and when we told her to immediately exit with the guide, it was met with a reluctance to do so. Seeing as the turn pressure was supposed to be 1500 for her, I was amazed. Having enough air to return to the surface did not seem to be the primary consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seems like Mr Darwin was looking to remove her from the gene pool...sure enough she'll find another way - or he will!

More practice. Don't get obsessive about it, and don't let it interfere with your fun times ... but maybe one dive a day, practice making a direct ascent. Keep doing it until it feels like it ain't a big deal (because it ain't, really). Once you're comfortable with making direct ascents, then try one while sharing air.

Rinse and repeat ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

UPDATE in case anyone is still aware of the original problem:D. (We are back at home now).

The last 6 dives or so, we did straight up ascents, no line, with a safety stop. We weren't perfect, but it was comfortable and, I guess you would say, easy. First we did them from 25 feet, then from 40 feet. Emily was nervous doing it from 40 feet (which, to my mind, is exactly the reason we need to do them). On the last few we shared air, and had some trouble maintaining correct depth.

We were very successful doing them in a vertical position, when we tried horizontal, we had much more trouble holding the correct depth.

If the original situation should happen again, I would say we're quite prepared to thumb the dive and ascend with little added anxiety. We haven't done any of this in currents, though.

Emily still says she wants to take Fundies! We want to get more comfortable in our drysuits first.

Thanks for all of your help!

- Bill

Awesome progress, Bill! You're motivating me to practice that skill.

I broke C7 and I'm able to find a pretty comfortable, correct, horizontal position. I haven't taken Fundies, yet but I've dived with a couple of GUE divers and they haven't completely thrown up, yet.
I think, Bill, you will be able to find a relatively correct position, even with a bad neck and that your instructor will be able to work with your physical limitations.

I just returned from four days "off the grid" ... we were in Barkley Sound (Vancouver Island), at a very remote site. Among our group was one of my former students, who did an AOW class with me about 10 months ago. During that class he struggled ... as most students do ... with the mid-water navigation dive I have my students do.

This week's trip we were not blessed with good vis ... in fact, we were in a plankton bloom that often had vis in the range of 3-4 feet. All of our boat dives required us to make direct ascents from the top of a pinnacle ... starting from a depth of 30-50 feet. In that vis, getting back to the anchor line wasn't an option unless extremely lucky ... it could be 10 feet away and you'd never see it.

I did one dive with my former student. When it was time to end the dive I gave him a thumb and we started up through a plankton layer that got so thick at times we could barely see the glow of each other's light, even though we were virtually within arm's reach and facing each other. At 15 feet we did our safety stop and then made our ascent. He was rock solid ... as his instructor, I couldn't have been more proud of how well he did that ascent.

It's as much mental as physical ... stay calm, control your breathing, focus on what you need to do. He made it look like it wasn't any big whoop ... because, in reality, it ain't. All it takes is a bit of practice, and some confidence in your ability to do what you know you need to do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom