How to break in a new Bare Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering how you were doing ?? Take care of the zip and it will get easier. I found the wrist seals hard to get on/off, but, with time and lots of practise, it's no issue now. So, it will come, more technique than anything. WRS the undergarment, I wear the second loftiest Bare they have, ( see my venting issue thread ). I also have good / thin Patagonia underwear ( top and long johns ) underneath the Bare underwear. So far, coldest I've dove was 39 F. I was toasty, and I don't have a lot of meat on me. Well, maybe some and it's certainly shifting around from my younger days. If you find you are still cold, try a thin extra layer underneath, but get good stuff. Works for me. I just read your comment about no extra room for another layer, even a v thin one??

Well today I went snorkeling with the dry suit alone but in a place where I knew there were people around if I needed some help with the zip. By moving my left arm in a particular way I was able to close it . To open it by myself I had to do it in stages, making sure that there were no creases, the last top part was pretty hard but eventually it moved to the end without falling apart. Do you put wax on your zip before every dive? I have heard that some zip manufacturers recommend NOT to wax the zip at all!:confused:

Taking off the neck seal was a bit less claustrophobic.

I think my undergarment is similar to yours. It's called Hi-Loft size small. I wear a thin layer of silk under the undergarment right now. In winter I will try to use a thicker one made of some kind of synthetic material that I have already and if it does not work I will have to look for a more thermally efficient underwear. I guess if worse comes to worst there will always be the option of an electric vest...

Another thing to try is the lavacore suit-- as a undergarment... They seem a bit thinner--very stretchy-- and dont add any positive buoyancy(they are neutral).. Plus you can use them as a wetsuit if you go to the tropics.. Im heading to png in november and am going to get a lavacore setup.. Then when im back i want to try it with my bare drysuit-- i think its going to work out great.. If you search around here-- youll find people saying they use these as their undergarment and love it..

thinner/neutral/stretchy/will work even if suit floods/can use as a wetsuit in warm tempt= win for undergarment

Another thing to try is the lavacore suit-- as a undergarment... They seem a bit thinner--very stretchy-- and dont add any positive buoyancy(they are neutral).. Plus you can use them as a wetsuit if you go to the tropics.. Im heading to png in november and am going to get a lavacore setup.. Then when im back i want to try it with my bare drysuit-- i think its going to work out great.. If you search around here-- youll find people saying they use these as their undergarment and love it..

thinner/neutral/stretchy/will work even if suit floods/can use as a wetsuit in warm tempt= win for undergarment

I have never heard of it. Thanks!

In answer to your question, before I had the zip replaced, I waxed the Bare Nex Gen metal zip every 4-5 dives. Read my thread " do not wax this zip " for the latest saga. Bottom line, I do believe all zips will get a little easier with usage ( isn't that true for everything ) and 99% of them need some sort of lubrication.

Bottom line, I do believe all zips will get a little easier with usage ( isn't that true for everything ) and 99% of them need some sort of lubrication.

They do, in fact mine is getting a bit more manageable and if I am not in a hurry because I am overheating I can close and open it by myself now.:)

Back
Top Bottom