How to calibrate and use compass for Atomic Aquatics Cobalt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I tried to calibrate the compass on my new Atomic Cobalt but it is not working correctly. How do I setup the calibration and use the compass?

Follow the directions in the manual making sure you are away from anything metal. I find the seat on a wooden picnic table works well; the straight edge assists you in making sure you are accurate lining it up straight when you flip it around. Then, follow the directions in the manual (or it actually gives you on screen prompts). I sometimes find that you need to do this 2 or 3 times before the compass seems accurate.

If that fails, message RonR on this site; he worked on the development of the Cobalt and is VERY helpful with any problem. I believe there is another procedure you can do if the usual calibration fails. If everything fails, he will assure that you get your Cobalt working perfectly.

I tried to calibrate the compass on my new Atomic Cobalt but it is not working correctly. How do I setup the calibration and use the compass?
The advice above is correct- it's very important to be away from ferrous metal, which can be hidden in walls, etc. What we have seen is that sometimes exposure to strong magnetic fields can throw off the chip such that the factory calibration that sets the gain and offset is no longer correct. We had one customer able to do this repeatedly by placing the Cobalt on top of a big bass speaker. If the Cobalt doesn't seem to calibrate using the normal procedures, here is link to a procedure for resetting the base calibration for the chip.

instructions: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71299384/6 pt calibration.pdf
Illustrations: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71299384/6-point photo instructions.pdf

If you have questions, you can PM me or email me at ronr@oconcepts.com.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom