How to choose a good regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel Torres

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

Note: I couldn't find any sticky thread about this on this forum; it would be great to have one. Please forgive me if this has been already discussed, and please point me to right thread(s).

I am still a beginner, but considering buying my own regulator after a discussing the benefits of having my own reg with more seasoned divers during last dive (namely, how much better my respiration would be as dive shops usually don't offer "the best" regulators for hire; my buddy said the difference would be "night and day").

That said, I wanted to hear about your opinions if that is true and correct, and, if having my own regulator is indeed something I might be interested in investing, how to pick and choose a good regulator.

Thank you all in advance,
Gabriel.

I highly recommend owning your own, especially with Dive Rite now publishing their AOW singles configuration. So, that said, you have to start with the basics

Yoke or DIN. DIN is better, and many places are starting to offer convertible valves on their rental tanks, but not sure in your area. If the only tanks available are yoke, then buy yoke.

Piston vs. Diaphragm. I prefer diaphragm, but other than ease of cleaning and cold resistance, they functionally don't matter.

Turret vs. non. I think the 5 port turret regulators offer the best hose routing for sidemount, backmount twinsets, and singles

Second stages, metal barrels are better than plastic, adjustable knobs are nice but not necessary.

So that basically describes quite a few different regulators because they are all about the same. What really matters is what is available, what is available for service near you, and what is cheap. Scubapro MK25 with G260 or S600, Apeks XTX50/DST, Dive Rite XT, those are all great regs. Of the lot the Dive Rite should be the cheapest, so I'd go with that one, but it really just matters what you can get and what you can get serviced without too much hassle

I highly recommend owning your own, especially with Dive Rite now publishing their AOW singles configuration.

Expand on this please tbone1004. Where can we see them? Thanks!

Hi Gabriel
Firstly, if you are going to continue diving even only 10 to 30 times per year then IMO owning your own personally suitable regulator and mask is an must! Scuba diving is about breathing underwater and is also primarily a visual experience, so being comfortable in both of these departments is a "make or break" factor in enjoying your dives.
You are posting on a forum where most of us here are regulator enthusiasts (for lack of a better definition) and we treat regulators like wine, diving on a "new" one involves analytical inspirations and expirations with a savoring of every nuance of the experience and then a mental ranking of attributes in relation to our other regs. So you may get a lot of responses about preferences that are very true but not entirely relevant to your questions.

IMO the value of a regulator should be graded by the average recreational diver in this order:
*Proven reliability and safety- it is "life support equipment" and the knowledge that there are thousands of them out there being used daily without a reported incident = confidence and reduced stress for a new diver.
*Performance- without splitting hairs, you should be able to inhale and exhale underwater in your swimming position and at any recreational depth without having to think about it!
*Comfort- it should not annoy you by causing discomfort or requiring special considerations just to avoid pain or constant water intrusion.
*Servicing- this topic is overrated but nevertheless local dive shop support is nice.
*Cost- there should be no need to sell an organ.
*Ease of maintenance- some regs require special considerations beyond the basic rinsing/ soaking after dive procedures, while others are just dead easy to care for.

Based on the above considerations there are a few regs that tick all the boxes, but in my unsolicited opinion the winner is the Aqualung Titan LX ACD (new model) and although I have many more expensive and debatably interesting regs this one is my go-to, it really is a great basic regulator that makes me question why I own all my others!
Cheers

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - XT Advanced Open Water

basically octo goes out of the bottom port, primary is on long hose and comes up under the shoulder, inflator goes down and over along with the SPG. Not really compatible with singles and a drysuit or both an AI transmitter and SPG though, but the nicest part is how easily it transitions back to doubles/twins because it uses the same hose lengths and routing as the left post. Just move the primary over and you're good to go

I would not be renting regulators unless I dove very infrequently. However, assuming that you are gonna experience some "night and day" difference is ridiculous. if the rental regs are well maintained, they should perform fine.

If you are gonna be a diver you just need to buy gear. Regulator, computer, BC, exposure suit, mask, fins, snorkel, knife, gear bag etc...

I also would not fall for the hype that you need to buy very expensive regulators, because you life depends on them....

Post some brands you can get serviced locally. I realize Sydney is a big city but it makes no sense for us to suggest U.S. based manufacturers that may not have the support there.

Plan to travel a lot? Where? On the off chance that something breaks, some brands have more extensive worldwide dealer/repair networks than others. While I can always rent if necessary, the reason I bought my regs is to use them on dive trips. I've needed that exactly once. The tech fixed it at lunch so I missed one dive during the week.

What's the budget. And what is that to include? 1st/2nd or 1st/2nd/octo/gauges?

I certainly can't fault the Scubapro or Aqualung suggestions already made here. But as an example - you can also get equally good performance out of a Scubapro Mk. 21 for less money. Some Oceanic models perform extremely well at a lower price point also.

My personal choices were I buying a reg now would be Atomic Aquatics, Aqualung, Scubapro or Apeks. Possibly Poseidon also but they're a llittle quirky and don't play well with others.

There's only about 50 combinations that will all work at any price point. I personally don't pay as much for an octo I'll never use than my primary. Others like them the same. Partly it's also due to configuration, long-hose divers share their primary - I only share my octo.

Some recent threads where regulator selection has been discussed - all from 2015.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/513549-dive-rite-scuba-pro-zeagle-regulator.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/512911-i-need-help-first-reg-purchase.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/512270-first-regulator-set-purchase.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/509315-buy-my-own-reg-keep-renting.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/501412-if-you-were-only-allowed-one-reg-what-would.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/506910-where-begin.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/503326-looking-good-warm-water-setup.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/502854-opinions-info-needed-couple-regs.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/500614-what-regulator-purchase.html

Do post answers here for some more targeted responses. Also anything you especially like - in many cases performance being un-noticeably different it often comes down to personal preference anyway. Or a really good deal at your shop. Or online on a brand your shop supports also.

Up front , I will say I dive with SP mk25 and s600's. Now why. when I was looking I tried to do as much research as I could . In 2003 I came across and article in rodels that was doing reg comparisons. What I got form it was most regs are about the same from 0-100 ft' past that is when the differences start coming out. The major difference was when it started breathing hard. Will the reg supply the demand. many did that around 120-140. The mk25 exceeded 200 ft before it started to breath hard. As regs go the mk25 is a sports car with power on demand. My out look at it was this. if it will breath good to 200 then is should breath good to 100 after a lot of performance degredation or if I had to share air from 100-130 ft. I decided that the mk 25 would supply me under any demand put on it. It is a piston reg and will deliver a lot of air when called on to do so. Now cold water may not be so good for piston regs making a diaphragm a better choice. Cold water divers will have to pipe in on that. I agree with the 5 port turret. Now the mk25's are expensive and I am sure you can get much cheaper regs with probably the same performance. Cavers can give some good advice in that regard. My wife and I dive with H valves on our tanks so we use 4 regs between us. Now as far as second stages go I like the s600/650 (have not dove the 700) and other regs like it in that they had the adjustments on them to prevent free flowing when not being used.

... it really is a great basic regulator that makes me question why I own all my others! Cheers

Because when that new plastic POS give up, this one one will still be reporting for duty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom