How to determine what size of transplate to order

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carrielsal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have decided to order a transplate. My shop does not have them stocked to try on, so I will need to order it. I need assistance trying to determine what size to order. One size chart I saw online had a waist to shoulder range measurement, but no information on how these measurements should be made.
I'm a 5'9" 180# female.
Thanks,
Carrie

I found the sizing chart below, TransPlate Harness by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express. I measured myself in just a t-shirt, and I'm 19". I find it hard to believe I could be a large.

Size Shoulder Strap Size Range
Medium 15 - 18 inches
Large 17 - 22 inches
X-Large 18.5 - 23.5 inches
XXL 24+ inches
The TransPlate harness is available in several sizes with size indicating shoulder strap length. Our experience at Dive Gear Express is that getting the fit correct is very important. Otherwise, the harness seems loose in the water. Don't guess. Please carefully take the actual measurements explained below to make sure you select exactly the right size. To ensure proper shoulder strap length, measure from a point at the top of the shoulder to a point immediately below the waist, as shown in the accompanying diagram. Be sure to allow for exposure suit thickness. As a general rule, men might consider selecting the same size TransPlate harness as their preferred T-shirt size.

Dive Rite updated their TransPlate harness to offer improved size adjustability. The TransPlate has a new sizing chart. There are now four sizes: Medium, Large, XL, and XXL. The Medium is the size most commonly selected by women and smaller men. The Large or XL is the size most commonly selected by men. The XXL size is an option for taller or larger than average individuals.

Hi Carrie,

You are borderline medium to large. If you are larger chested, you'll want to get a size large. If you are thin in the shoulders and chest, a medium can work for you. The only difference is the shoulder strap size. The good news, is that if you order the wrong size for any reason, you can easily swap out the shoulder pads on this harness.

I hope this helps,
Kathleen

That's fantastic! There is an online shop that has a closeout price on what appears to be the 2008 models. They have a medium, but do not have larges. I will order the medium. If it doesn't fit, where can I purchase the shoulder pads? I have not seen these listed as an accessory at any of the online shops I have looked at.

Thanks,
Carrie

For knick knacks like shoulder pads, I'm sure that you can purchase them directly from Dive Rite as replacement to original pieces.

The Transplate and Transpac harnesses measurements are based on the length of one's torso and since that you're a tall person, it's no surprising that you might need a Large. As for me, I'm short but I have disproportionately long torso (and equally stumpy legs) so I wear a Large.

As far as the waist belt goes, just measure out what you need plus a few inches worth of extra then cut off the rest (don't forget to melt the end with a lighter so that it won't fray).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom