How to explain new purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ Desert Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So here is the dilemma...How do you explain to a non-diving spouse the reason that you keep making new dive equipment purchases? Especially when the your equipment you are replacing is still working fine. I've had to do this a lot lately with purchasing a new Vytec DS, a gear bag, slate, a sausage and a few other things as well. Help, I'm running out of reasons to buy new stuff. So, I would like to hear what reasons you have given to a non-diving spouse when buying new equipment.

BTW, the "safety concerns" reason is running on its last leg. :D

Try explaining it to a DIVING spouse. I've given up. I was lucky enough to get a small inheritance, and I put some of the money aside. I faced my spouse with teeth bared and said, "This is MY money, and I'm doing what I want with it, and I'm not going to justify anything I do." And promptly bought my Salvo light . . . and other things:)

Do what I did, major in Marine Biology and develop a research project, it's working for me so far.

AZ Desert Diver:
So here is the dilemma...How do you explain to a non-diving spouse the reason that you keep making new dive equipment purchases? Especially when the your equipment you are replacing is still working fine. I've had to do this a lot lately with purchasing a new Vytec DS, a gear bag, slate, a sausage and a few other things as well. Help, I'm running out of reasons to buy new stuff. So, I would like to hear what reasons you have given to a non-diving spouse when buying new equipment.

Easy...turn your non-diving spouse, into a diving spouse.:D

assuming you don't buy the most expensive items available, show him or her what you "could" have bought and proceed to explain that it could have been much worse, but you were trying your very best to be economical with your purchases...and if that doesn't work, just remember: it's far easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission:D

Storm:
Easy...turn your non-diving spouse, into a diving spouse.:D

I've tried that and the whole breathing under water thing just isn't going to be over come.

AZ Desert Diver:

This one is easy. First tell her you love her. Then explain that you had a choice in choosing an extra curricular activity and you chose diving. The other choice was to become a heroine addict.

Find a way in your budget to make sure that she gets all the things she wants as well, then it's pretty easy. Family finances are a compromise.... but at the end of the day this is a marriage issue not an equipment issue.

Good luck

jds

AZ Desert Diver:

Simple. A safety concious diver justifies the need for at least 2 of everything. That way if his/her gear or a dive partners gear fails, you have the save-a-dive extreme kit to save the day. This way, if you've spent plenty of money to get to a dive site, then it's ruined by a gear failure, you can say "See, if I hadn't bought the extra gear, it would have been a wasted trip....and you wouldn't want me to just throw money away right??" Having 2 of everything is also a good cop-out on getting her to finally get into diving, so the gear doesn't sit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom