How to figure out dive flag laws in your state?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minnesnowta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. I am new to scuba-diving. Was wondering how one goes about finding the dive flag laws in your state...any advice?

I am in Minnesota.

After reading some threads on this board that discuss divers getting ticketed for not having a dive flag, it made me wonder what the law says in Minnesota. But i'm not sure how to find that info.

Thanks!:D

---------- Post Merged at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Never mind, I found it. Now no one has to say, "Let me Google that for you." :)

One easy way may be to get your state's boating regulations or boat operators handbook. Most of these publications have a section on a boaters responsibility to avoid and a diver's responsibility to display the divers down or alpha flag.
the minnesota boaters handbooks states
SCUBA DIVING
[FONT=Carta,Carta][FONT=Carta,Carta]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std]Scuba divers must [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std]display a warning
flag when diving.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Carta,Carta][FONT=Carta,Carta]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std]The diver’s flag must measure at least 15 inches horizontally and 12 inches vertically. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std]Both sides must have a red-colored back- ground bisected diagonally by a three-inch
wide white stripe. There is also a blue and white diver’s flag authorized under the
federal rules of the road.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Carta,Carta][FONT=Carta,Carta]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std]No more than four divers shall dive under one flag. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Carta,Carta][FONT=Carta,Carta]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std]Divers must remain within 50 feet (measured horizontally) of the warning flag. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Carta,Carta][FONT=Carta,Carta]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std]If a group of divers is using a contained area, the perimeter of the area must be marked. The area must be outside the normal area [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std][FONT=Optima LT Std,Optima LT Std]of navigation. These markings must consist of
the official diver’s flag and must be placed
around the perimeter of the diving area at
intervals of not more than 150 feet.
[FONT=Carta,Carta][FONT=Carta,Carta]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]Do not place a diver’s flag where it will ob- struct navigation.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]The diver’s flag may be displayed on a water- craft or float or be anchored to the bottom. The top of the flag must be at least 30 inches above the surface, however.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]Boats not involved with the diving operation must remain 150 feet away from a flag.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]Persons who dive at any time from sunset to sunrise must carry a diver’s light visible when above the water for a distance of 150 feet.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]Scuba or skin diving while in possession of a spear is unlawful from sunset to sunrise.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide.pdf

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Thanks. It looks like Minnesota has one of the more comprehensive dive flag laws. Nice thing about putting it in the boater's handbook is it attempts to make surface craft owners aware that the dive flag is not a mooring or a crab pot buoy to be poached (I have had both happen to me, the boater had a choice: retrieve the flag, pay for the flag, or get beat up by a very angry divemaster, he chose to retrieve the flag).

Tennessee's boating regulations may be found at Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Boating Regulations, in the "Diving Safety" section. Here's a recap of the regulations:

Boats must not operate within 50 feet of a diver's- down flag and a slow, no-wake idle speed restriction is automatically imposed within 200 feet of the flag.

A diver is any person who is in the water and equipped with a face mask, snorkel or underwater breathing apparatus.

All divers,regardless of whether they are diving from a boat,shall prominently display a diver's-down flag in the area in which they are diving and must surface within 50 feet of the flag. After dusk the flag must be illuminated so it can be seen from a minimum of 300 feet.

Any boat used as a necessary part of the diving operation must display, from its mast a diver's-down flag at least 20 inches x 24 inches in size and an international code flag Alpha so that they are visible from 360 degrees. After dark such boats shall illuminate their flags so they are visible from a minimum of 300 feet.

Back
Top Bottom