How to figure out how much to tip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually go with $10 a tank but I will add more for a valet dive operation that provides extra services. I may also adjust the tip depending on the value of US currency in the specific country. For example, the US dollar is worth $0.80 in Cayman so I increase the amount of the tip if I am paying with US cash.

Sometimes it's hard to know who to tip. I've been to places where they have envelopes available so you can leave tips for specific people.

During a recent trip we gave a general tip at the dive shop using our credit card; but we also gave some cash to the dive master and boat captains that were responsible for most of our dives.

There's no hard and fast rules; just do what feels fair.

Prior to COVID I tipped the boat $10 for a two tank dive in Cozumel. Now I've doubled it for obvious reasons - and if there's someone who has been amazing to me I try to secretly put $5 in their hand as a thank you. Among those 'amazing' services are guides who really work to find cool stuff (not all guides are equal) and anyone on the boat who takes time to help me out 'above and beyond' (like the guy who cleaned my mask thoroughly and showed me how he did it with the toothbrush - best fogless dive ever!). If you hire a private guide you should expect to tip them separately as well.

I'd also like to add that diving is an expensive hobby/sport. How much you can afford to tip is a very personal issue. I'm in a position to tip better now, than I was when we started 10 years ago. What you cannot do in cash you might be able to do in kindness. I noticed a couple on our last trip who brought the crew pastries from the resort every morning. Didn't cost them a penny, but I'm sure the crew appreciated it. Good manners goes a long way, of course. Whatever you can do for yourself (changing out your own gear - we do that anyway) means less work for the crew. Just some thoughts.

I've done a couple of the discover dives and knew to tip, but really didn't know how much. The first time I handed the money to the person that took us down, that was in the Bahamas. When I went on one in the states they just had a pot to put tips in.

I did my open water course in a quarry and all of my certified dives have been in quarries so no need for a DM. I'm hoping to be in Cozumel in a month and have zero idea of how much to tip.

What are the basic suggestions for tipping? I know it will change with where one is at. Does it matter if I've hired a DM, do I tip them on top of paying for them?

Any suggestions on what to tip in Cozumel? Be staying at Allegro and be diving with the Pro Dive shop that's on site. The deal we got was only one dive a day.

Kenderson,

What's the service worth to you/how well was that service performed/what can you afford?

Just like everything else/everywhere else.

A lot of times, and there are exceptions, the charter bucket is split amongst the crew, who often work for tips.

Personal tips are based on performance, both on the boat, and if they're with you in the water.

I have favorite ''Captains'', and I've tipped as much as $40/$50.

It's entirely up to you, and your appreciation doesn't necessarily have to be shown with a large tip, remember the Island crews are working 365 days a year in most cases, the law of averages should indicate they are doing pretty well.

Rose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom