How to get started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two books on regs but it seems that you can't get parts or service brochures unless you're a shop. I'd just like to know more about the equipment I'm betting my life on. Starting a solo dive cert and will have "bailout" gear but still....

Great idea on doing your book work first. Knowing how and why a regulator does what it does is very important. Don't let going to the hands on stuff scare you. If there is a class available to you then take it...Next grab an inexpensive regulator like an Aquarius, Conshelf etc and jump in. You may not get it right the first time but you can always do it over till you get it.
On the VDH website there is a link to Manuals and Catalogs which contains more than 8GB of factory service manuals and schematics you can download for free. I add to this often so if you don't see what you are interested in check back later.
I'm working on videos for MK 2,5, 10 and G250 all of which are relatively easy to service. @herman makes some very high quality, inexpensive specialty tools for a lot of the USD and SPro regulators in the videos.
Best of luck on you new adventure!

Re: HOG regulator service clinic, looks like I have to be a technician to sign up
hog-regulator-service-clinic-hosted-by-cave-adventurers-and-featuring-boss-hog.468563

Sorry, but what is the VDH website? A link would be awesome
I recommend taking the HOG regulator service clinic, what you will learn applies to most other brands. Service kits are available for HOG, Aqua Lung, Scuba Pro and others on eBay or Store - Vintage Double Hose. VDH has a nice series of videos on regulators Vintage Double Hose VDH Worldwide LLC

Re: HOG regulator service clinic, looks like I have to be a technician to sign up
hog-regulator-service-clinic-hosted-by-cave-adventurers-and-featuring-boss-hog.468563

No, you do not need to be a technician. Originally, the class was open only to "tech divers," but that was changed a few years ago. Now, recreational divers are welcome. These classes are offered periodically at various places. I don't know who might offer it in Texas, but maybe start by contacting Jack Schmidt of HOG: edgediving.operations@gmail.com. Upon completion of the class, you receive a card via TDI that says, in essence, that you have been trained to service your own regulators.

Chairman, I'M IN!!! Where do I sign up? I was going to DEMA in November, are they available then?

Thanks!

Lorenzoid, thanks, I did email edgediving

There might be classes offered at DEMA. I'll be there, but I'll probably be too busy with DEMA to teach at night. I do live in the Keys and teach classes there, including HOG/Edge/Deep 6 as well as Tank Inspection Procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom